PDA

View Full Version : Basketball hoop over garage door---asking for destruction?

Matt Meiser
12-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Daughter wants a basketball hoop. Our smallish concrete apron doesn't have room for one of the portables and even if we did, I'm not sure it would work with the winds we get. The side a permanent pole could go on is where the main electrical service runs. That leaves mounting it to the house over the large, expensive, insulated steel door. I'm thinking that's out because I envision the door getting all dented up but figure I should ask for sure. True or false?

Stephen Cherry
12-01-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure what your door is made of, but mine looks like it's from recycled beer cans and would never stand up to a basketball.

Gordon Eyre
12-01-2013, 11:47 PM
The door is less likely to dent if it is insulated; however, it is not out of the question. I would error on the side of caution. She could always play with the door up or use the hoop at a local school or park.

Jamie Buxton
12-02-2013, 12:40 AM
A kid is going to dent a metal door with a basketball?

Shawn Pixley
12-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Can't really advise you. I played a lot of driveway basketball with hoop over the garage door. We broke quite a few windows in the door. A number of us bashed into the door, bue we never broke it. Of course the doors were wood panel doors back then. The only thing I can guarantee is that balls will hit the door with reasonable frequency.

Steven Green
12-02-2013, 3:35 AM
Rest assured, Dents many of them. I finally replaced the door and poured a pad for them.