PDA

View Full Version : Tool Stand Project Using a Recycled Satelite Dish Stand

Blair Swing
12-01-2013, 10:38 PM
About 6 months back, I was forced to change satellite providers after they dropped my wife's Korean Channels. In that process I ended up with a satellite dish holder that I had to remove from the roof. If you have never seen one of these things up close they have all kinds of knuckles, and adjustable parts that spin, and allow infinite adjustments in order for the dish to be able to be set to pick up the satellite from a variety of possible installation points. I knew I would find a purpose for it somewhere in the shop. Flash ahead to my new lathe purchase and I ended up putting my new lathe where I previously had stored all my tools (in holes on the table), and was trying to figure out what to do with my tools.

Looking through one of the Rockler circulars I saw a plastic tool holder and the light bulb went off. So one of my first turnings on the new lathe was purposeful, allowed me to use the indexing feature to layout where to drill the tool holes, and was a nice little project that only took a couple hours to complete, and keeps the tools up and out of harms way, is expandable, as my tool purchases grow, and is Green to boot in recycling an otherwise useless chunk of metal. Now to figure out what to do with the dish itself....
276162 276161276163

Thomas Canfield
12-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Neat idea. I see them on the street from time to time and may have to pick one up.

Harry Robinette
12-02-2013, 2:18 AM
Blair
Now I've seen allot of re-purposing but that's a really good one. The angle look very ergonomical.

Doug Herzberg
12-02-2013, 6:26 AM
I've been saving a steel ring from our old big dish to re-purpose as a steady rest. Good to see I'm not the only one who hates throwing away "junk." Tenants move and leave these little dishes on my property all the time, so I may grab one the next time it happens.

Jim Underwood
12-02-2013, 1:33 PM
Now all you need to do is figure out how to utilize the motor and remote to move your tool stand over to you when you want to select another one... :D

Kelvin Burton
12-02-2013, 3:45 PM
Great idea! Now where can I get my hands on one of those? :confused:

Rob Boesem
12-02-2013, 7:40 PM
I could have picked up a few of these in the past....Wishing I had now!

WTG on the re-purposing!!!

Doug Wolf
12-03-2013, 8:25 AM
Thanks for the idea of what to do with my bases.

Here's what I used the dish for. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158705-Scrap-metal-to-cactus-yard-art