PDA

View Full Version : shipping errors and theft

Shawn Russell
12-01-2013, 8:03 AM
I have had two issues with shipping in the last few weeks.

One of my shipping issues is with USPS. I had ordered books that said it was delivered to my PO Box, the tracking information says the item is out for delivery, and I do not have the item. This post office has a history of incorrectly delivering mail. I have had other people's packages in my PO Box and I have had my mail in other boxes before. I am not sure if this is theft or incompetence.

The other shipping issue is with FedEx. I had several packages shipped from Amazon that shows up as delivered. FedEx says it was left at the home. The items were not on my porch or at the side by the garage(which is where UPS normally leaves items). They were large packages weighing about 40 pounds so it would not be easy to just run off with them. Sadly, my neighborhood has a history of theft which is why I pay for a PO Box in the first place. And the items ordered from Amazon could not be delivered to a PO Box.

My question is what is the best route to handle this? Should I contact the police and file a report for one or both incidents? The issue with USPS I plan to pursue with the postal inspector. With the FedEx issue should I deal with FedEx or Amazon? What I am most irritated with is that neither order required signature delivery. Both orders were several hundred dollars so I will be more than ticked if I have to eat any of this.

I have ordered more packages and a security setup should be shipping soon. I am wondering if I should have used a service like Mail Boxes Etc and have human location that will sign for and hold my packages. Any other ideas on things that can be done to ensure package delivery is secure are most welcome. I have many more items that I want to order for gifts and work but now I am paranoid that something I need on a time schedule is not going to show up and I find myself in a jam.

Jim Matthews
12-01-2013, 8:54 AM
If you require signature on delivery, FedEx won't leave unattended packages.

I would not put it past an enterprising thief to follow a FedEx truck on the route, this time of year.
I would raise the issue with Amazon. If you contact FedEx directly, the driver will be disciplined.

That could lead to vindictive handling of your future packages.
Give Amazon a chance to make good, first.

Contact your credit card about the missing item, as a preliminary approach to making a chargeback claim.

You need to either sign for future packages or claim them at the FedEx depot, to avoid this.

James Tibbetts
12-01-2013, 9:14 AM
You should not have to eat any of this. The seller is responsible to you to provide the goods to complete the contract; the carrier is responsible to the seller. You should very politely get in everybody's face until this is cleared up to your satisfaction. Unfortunately it is the seaon for this kind of stuff. Remember that human error may be at fault in both incidences. Lots of temp employees now. If you are comfortable with a service like MBE you may also consider having FEDEX automatically hold all your packages for pick-up. Don't know if the USPS would do this or not. As far as signature required delivery you may have to place the order with a live person to be able to request it. I know for sure that UPS can mark your address in the drivers' digital clipboard as a "signature required", or met in person delivery. I don't see why FEDEX could not do the same. Good luck with the process.

Brian Ashton
12-01-2013, 11:36 AM
How many packages are you saying have gone missing over what time? You shouldn't have more than a couple over a year go missing if that at all. If I were losing more than that I would be suspecting my neighbours. I'd either go with registered services from now on (but that might be cost prohibitive), or have a motion sensitive camera put in and instruct all deliveries be put in a specific spot where the camera is trained, or have them sent to your place of work.

I had a stroppy postal clerk try me on once and I gave it back to her… Funny enough my soon to arrive parcel didn't materialise… I waited a couple weeks to make sure and then filed a complaint of a missing parcel and named the offending teller as a suspect and low and behold I was contacted a couple days later and told it had been found… Coincidence, maybe… but I never saw that grumpy blonde cow at the post office again after that...

Mike Henderson
12-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I had a package stolen from my front porch a couple of years ago. I thought it had been misdelivered and contacted Amazon for help. They re-shipped for free.

I talked with the USP driver later and he said he's had it happen on a couple of houses on his route over the past year or so. He did not indicate he would get disciplined for it.

Legally, if you agreed to allow Fedex to leave packages - and you have to sign something with Fedex to allow that - they only have the obligation to put the package at your door (or where ever you told them to put it). After that, it's your responsibility.

Also, legally, the seller's responsibility stops when he delivers the package to the common carrier. At that point, the common carrier becomes responsible for loss (except as noted above). Amazon seems to go further than required by law.

Mike

Matt Meiser
12-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Legally, if you agreed to allow Fedex to leave packages - and you have to sign something with Fedex to allow that - they only have the obligation to put the package at your door (or where ever you told them to put it). I never signed anything.

Brian Elfert
12-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Like Matt, I have never signed anything allowing any carrier to drop off packages without a signature. A number of years ago all of the carriers started to drop packages at my door without any signature required. I guess they decided the cost of any stolen packages was less expensive than additional deliveries and holding packages for pickup. I like it rather than driving all over town retrieving packages. No packages have turned up missing yet. They will require a signature if the shipper specifically asks for one. I had Wayfair specify signature required on a $20 package of glass light fixture globes. Really annoying as I had to make a special trip to get them. Even more annoying was the fact that Wayfair packaged them poorly and they had to ship them another two times to get a complete unbroken set. I ended up making three trips to Fedex for one $20 order.

Many Ebay sellers specifically state they are not responsible for lost or stolen shipments unless the buyer pays extra for insurance. Once the package tracking shows it leaving the seller they won't replace it if it doesn't make it to the buyer for any reason.

Doug W Swanson
12-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Don't forget about theft that's an inside job.

I sent two packages via USPS Priority Mail to the same address on the same day. One arrived and one did not. The odd thing is that USPS did find either the empty package or the label in one of their facilities because I did receive the label back a few weeks later. It looked like the label had been neatly removed from the package with a razor blade. I followed up with a claim for stolen goods, talked to a few different people with the USPS and never heard anything about my stolen stuff.

Someone even suggested that my items could show up at the USPS 'Dead Mail' center where it would be resold at auction so I filled out a report with very detailed info and pictures. That was two years ago and I haven't heard anything since.

I assume my items (expensive bobbleheads) are either on display at a USPS employee's home or were sold on the black market for a nice profit....

David Weaver
12-01-2013, 1:09 PM
I can't imagine why the seller or the carrier would be responsible for theft that is not due to their negligence. If I were in your position, I would get a camera setup wherever the packages are left, and leave it running to catch anyone who might be running around your house. I think a camera setup that records three or four different places is probably about 400 bucks.

Other than that, you might think about having someone else be an alternate delivery spot for you if your location is already known to you to be an easy target for theft.

Brian Elfert
12-01-2013, 1:51 PM
A few years back I got a package through USPS where the package had clearly been cut open and the item removed. The package had been insured so I was able to take some pictures and open a claim at usps.com. I got my money from the USPS in 10 days which I thought was incredible.

Bonnie Campbell
12-01-2013, 4:33 PM
I have to use a PO box since I don't get home delivery here. Problem with that is that a lot of places refuse to ship to PO boxes. As for signing for packages, don't count on that helping with FedEx OR UPS. I had a item costing over $300 left somewhere other than my front porch a few Christmas' ago. I called to say it wasn't here and they got all snotty about it. I told them if it was NOT delivered correctly within a couple hours they would swallow the cost because it was supposed to be signed for. Lo and behold, within a hour it was ON my porch. Of course they still didn't knock to get a signature.

glenn bradley
12-01-2013, 5:33 PM
We receive reminders around the holidays that 'loss events' believed to be thieves following UPS and FedEx around and stealing items left on doorsteps spike. I have an area where items are left out of sight but, I also sign up for email status reports of when an item is out for delivery and when it has been dropped off so that I can react if required. Its when the item is dropped off at 2pm and I am at work and have no one to ask a favor of that I worry.

If you neighborhood is known for theft and there are not Amazon Locker services nearby (or you are not buying from Amazon), it may be time to look into a UPS store or other mail service that will accept packages. Combining this service with your post office box location may offset the expense. As to shipping errors, I do a lot of stuff online and via the mail and have yet to have anything just vanish. Show up a day late or a day early, yes. but not just disappear so, I have no value to add as to how to move forward on claims.

Shawn Russell
12-01-2013, 5:36 PM
It is a total of three packages. One at USPS and two from FedEx.

The funny thing is I have been an Ebay member from before 2000 and I have never had a problem with shipping or receiving packages. I had one issue with USPS about 6 weeks ago with a DVD taking almost four weeks to get there. I sold three DVDs through the classifieds here and two of the buyers received their DVD within four days. The other buyer eventually received their DVD after four weeks.

Years ago I almost always had everything shipped signature delivery. And a few years ago carriers just started leaving items at the door.

The sad part is anyone who wanted to use my tools they are more than welcome. Several of the folks in the neighborhood have borrowed tools and some come over and share the shop. It is just a bummer having to spend money on cameras. I would have much preferred to buy a new plane.

Myk Rian
12-01-2013, 5:53 PM
He had a package "supposedly" delivered by UPS, but wasn't here.
After a lengthy phone call, we were told it was at the USPS branch, even though the truck was leaving our street when my Wife was getting home.
I know FedEx works with USPS, but never knew UPS did, until now.

Paul Wunder
12-01-2013, 8:42 PM
A number of years ago, UPS failed to make a timely delivery of an expensive medication (retail price was about $3500) that required cold packs. It showed up two days late and I refused delivery because I could no longer be sure of the potency. I called Medco (a major mail order pharmacy). They agreed to re-ship the medication overnight at no cost. They told me that they have insurance against situations such as this.

Perhaps Amazon and others with huge shipping volumes have insurance or can apply pressure against UPS and Fedex

Brian Elfert
12-02-2013, 2:50 PM
Yes, high volume shippers often use third party insurance instead of the shipper's insurance because it is generally cheaper when shipping high volumes. I would not be surprised if someone like Amazon simply self insures and pays for loss as it happens. I would expect they would carry reinsurance for a big disaster like a truck or airplane incident.

Shawn Russell
12-02-2013, 9:30 PM
Just an update on all of this...
Amazon has been a joy to work with. They will update me tomorrow with either shipping a new package or crediting my account.

USPS is resolved but has created a new issue. There is a Mailbox-etc like store in my town which is causing some issues. I have PO box 1, my city, GA. The Mailbox place has addresses like Box 1, my city, GA. It has been a known issue with packages from one route or the other ending up at the wrong address. I have had someone else's mail at my mailbox for months which I just assumed was the previous box owner who did not forward his mail. I would always just put return to sender and drop it back in the box. I will have to go and meet the owner of box 1 to make sure we keep in touch when mail gets crossed.

John Huds0n
12-18-2013, 3:38 PM
UPS now has their "my choice" program. There is a 'free' and "premium' ($40 per year) version

The free version will send you emails alerting you to a delivery the next day, will allow you to leave delivery instructions, hold the package to be picked up at the UPS facility, etc

The premium version will allow you to reroute your packages to another location, change the delivery date and give you a 2 hour delivery window (for a $5 fee)

More info
http://www.ups.com/mychoice/features/