PDA

View Full Version : color chart for stains

Don Harrington
06-07-2005, 8:50 PM
Hi folks,

recently I had the interior of my house painted.

The painter had a color chart showing hundreds of colors.

Now, I have client who loves one of my fir tables which is finished with a tinted varnish. However, they want the top more brown and the base a darker(almost black) brown.

Is there a color chart available that would help me come up with a starting point for matching a stain tp the client's minds eye?

thx

don

Jim Becker
06-07-2005, 9:46 PM
I am thinking that any kind of "chart" would be only partially helpful since 1) there are no standard "colors" for stain in general (dyes do come in basics as well as "invented" names) and 2) dyes and stains look very different on different species and sometimes even on boards from different trees. You can usually come up with charts from specific manufacturers to help you learn what color/tone they want by example, but that is not necessarily going to tell you what finishing regimen you need to use to actually get it on the wood. You have to do samples in your shop to get there, keeping careful notes. And those samples should ideally be on scraps of the same wood the project is made from or at least the same species with similar color, grain and texture properties.

Check with Homestead Finishing to see if they can help you out with some kind of chart.

lou sansone
06-07-2005, 9:48 PM
I have seen them for sale, but never bought one. They do exist

lou

Don Harrington
06-08-2005, 6:49 AM
thanks,

I'll let you know if I come up with one.

don

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Do a goggle search for
something hanley
or
hanley something
or just
hanley
or something close to that.
Ah! Ha! I found it.

The Finishers Color Wheel