PDA

View Full Version : SuperMax 25x2 With edge sanding technology

donnie cherry
11-30-2013, 9:21 PM
Anyone have any experience with this machine? I returned the Shopfox drum sander. I ordered this SuperMax sander yesterday. It looks like a heavy duty sander that will do what I need it to do. A BIG plus as far as I'm concerned, is that it is made in the USA. Don"t really know if I will use the edge sanding feature, I have a Vega edge sander. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, I think it will be worth it though. Should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Bradley Gray
12-01-2013, 2:09 PM
I have an older 25 x 2 supermax that was preceded in my shop by a open end 22" performax and the difference in performance was night and day. The 25 x 2 has increased productivity and precision

Bruce Page
12-01-2013, 2:36 PM
Congrats, it looks like a very nice machine.

donnie cherry
12-01-2013, 7:12 PM
Thanks you guys. I can't wait until it's here.

Biff Phillips
12-03-2013, 1:38 PM
I have an older 37" Supermax and I absolutely love it. They are a great company to deal with. If you call them, you get a technician that is actually familiar with the product.

kenneth fleming
12-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm looking at this one as well....looking forward to your comments on it....not much out there on it.
I did speak with Supermax last week and I hope that your aware of the free base and in/out tables for the month of December if you purchase directly from Supermax.

kenneth fleming
12-06-2013, 5:46 PM
Hey Donnie, did you get the sander yet ? If yes, thoughts ?

donnie cherry
12-06-2013, 9:06 PM
Its supposed to be here on Monday. Have had trouble with the shipping company.No, I didn't know about that offer. I bought it from a another place. I'll let you know how it is. I didn't see that offer on their website anywhere. It would have been nice if it was on there.

kenneth fleming
12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
The offer gives you a free enclosed base and free in / out feed tables...total is $440 worth of stuff. Only in Dec and she said you have to order directly from them and that the sander itself is the same price as other places. Not sure if you can get free shipping with that elsewhere but I would have to pay $293 from Minn to RI...but no sales tax...the girls name is Hannah...

Ben Martin
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Are you sure that the 25x2 ES is Made in the USA? Just looking at it, sure looks identical to the 19-38 that is Made in Taiwan. And the motor in this video sure looks Chiwanese...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IruHHTfWAh8#t=179

Not trying to start fights or anything, there website just tosses around "Made in USA" and than never specifies which products are made where when it clearly states on the manual for the 19-38 that it is Made in Taiwan.

Ben

donnie cherry
12-07-2013, 6:19 PM
I'm going to call Supermax on Monday. The prices are the same everywhere. Why would the offer be good only if you order from them?
I ordered it from Woodwerks in Columbus, Ohio

donnie cherry
12-07-2013, 6:29 PM
Hopefully, it is made here in USA
It was 10 percent off. That might be why no free stand or tables. The stand and tables would be a better deal though.

kenneth fleming
12-07-2013, 8:14 PM
I believe it is made overseas...Good luck Donnie and please update us here on the sander and how you made out on the $$ end with them..

Ben Martin
12-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Donnie,

I will be interested in how the Edge Sanding portion works. Seems a little hokey to me, but if it works, it works I guess. I do a lot of A&C work with slats and a drum sander has been on my list of next machines to buy, sanding the edges would be the only thing that a drum sander wouldn't address. Not sure I could ever justify the 25x2, but I have been eyeing the 19-38. I could easily rig up something, possibly attached to my lathe, that could act like the edge sanding attachment...

Ben

Graham Hutchinson
12-10-2013, 6:18 PM
Hi Donnie, I'm interested in what you think of the sander. Let us know your thoughts when you have a chance.

Thanks

Graham

donnie cherry
12-10-2013, 8:26 PM
I received it yesterday, won't be up and running until Thursday though. Wow, is it heavy! Not made in USA though, Taiwan instead. I'll let everyone know.

donnie cherry
12-14-2013, 9:32 PM
Well, it's set up and running. I will post some pics tomorrow. It is one heavy machine. Make sure you have a forklift around to lift the sanding and conveyor head assembly. Very nicely finished. The digital readout is a very nice feature. Everything was adjusted right out of the box pretty much as far as the drum alignment. I haven't had to make many adjustments so far. I adjusted the tension on the tension rollers a bit . The conveyor belt needed some adjusting also to get it tracking ok. I believe I have it tracking pretty decent now.

AS far as the promotion you guys were telling me about, I called Supermax and asked them about it. They told me to talk to the place I bought it from. I called them and they didn't no about it. They contacted Supermax and talked to them about it. It was either the mobile base or the extension tables for free. I chose the extension tables.

I used it today for about on hour or so. It will save a lot of sanding time as far as the random orbital sander goes.

I will let you more about it as I use it a little more.

Ben Martin
12-15-2013, 9:20 PM
Donnie,

Good to hear that you got it set-up and are happy with it!

Will be interested in a long term review of it!

Ben

kenneth fleming
12-17-2013, 6:54 PM
Donnie,
I am the one who they told it was both as that is what I was told...
thx

donnie cherry
12-17-2013, 7:31 PM
I was told it was one or the other. I am fine with just the tables.

donnie cherry
12-22-2013, 8:10 PM
Here are a couple of pics of it. I sanded about 200 bd ft of hard maple through it over the weekend. It is a stout machine. Belt changes are not too bad. You need a good dust collector with it.

Mike Daugherty
12-22-2013, 9:25 PM
This machine is actually made in Taiwan but is suppose to be an excellent sander. I also have been looking at it and have compared it to Woodmaster and I believe that it's a better sander even though it's made over seas, I have spoke with them a couple of times and always get straight forward answers.

donnie cherry
12-23-2013, 7:33 PM
Mike,
It is made overseas. I wish it was made in the US though. I looked at both also and decided on this one.

Bruce Page
12-23-2013, 8:02 PM
How is the dust collection on it? There's a fair amount of dust on the floor, is it from the conveyer?
Also, what is the smaller hand wheel on the left side for?

It looks like a well thought out sander and the footprint is a lot smaller than my Woodmaster!

mreza Salav
12-23-2013, 8:09 PM
Looks like a good machine. I have their 37x2 (Made in US) and it's a good machine, but there are a few things with it I don't like. The lifting mechanism transfers from the hand wheel (that you turn) via a long rod to the other side and there are two sprokets at that joint; those are held in place with set screws. One of the set screws kept coming loose and the sproket would slip (meaning messing the alignment). Eventually the threads in the sproket broke after I (over?)tightened the set screw. Small issue and easy to fix but I expected better...

donnie cherry
12-23-2013, 9:03 PM
The dust on the floor comes from the conveyor. It`s not too bad though. Looks worse than it really is . The small hand wheel you are asking about is the adjustment hand wheel for the back drum. turn it set the difference between the front and back drum.

donnie cherry
02-16-2014, 7:26 PM
The hand wheel that you turn as far as lowering or raising the table has gotten so hard to turn . I have oiled it and at times it's okay and other times it is all I can do to turn it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Bruce Page
02-16-2014, 7:55 PM
Have you contacted Supermax? It's not a good idea to force it, you could do real damage.

Mike Wilkins
02-17-2014, 8:28 AM
Fine looking machine. I have a Woodtek double-drum and the same dust collector as you (Delta). How is the dust collection with your set up??? Mine is not so great; wishing for a cyclone.

glenn bradley
02-17-2014, 9:09 AM
Are you sure that the 25x2 ES is Made in the USA? Just looking at it, sure looks identical to the 19-38 that is Made in Taiwan.

"Identical" . . . really? :D

I get your drift, I'm just funnin' with ya. ;)

As with your average "American" car, many parts are made off shore as America no longer has those industries to any competitive degree. The company doesn't use the ambiguous "Made in America" label for marketing the way many do but, the important thing to me is that the company is here and that the employees are here. The fact that they procure parts from offshore in order to succeed here is moot to me.