PDA

View Full Version : Tool I.D. Help

william sympson
11-30-2013, 7:47 PM
I was asked if I knew what this tool was for...I'd guess that it is for leather work. I didn't have a ruler, but would guess the blades at about a foot long and are removable. In the close up shot, there is a number 4 stamped in it.

Anyone know for sure its intended purpose/function?

William

harry strasil
11-30-2013, 8:07 PM
It looks somewhat like the knives I used to sharpen that were used to scrape raw hides, but they were curved.

george wilson
11-30-2013, 8:56 PM
It is a hide de hairing knife. Not all were curved.

harry strasil
11-30-2013, 9:34 PM
yeah, that's what I meant George, all I know is they really stink when you start grinding on them. lol

william sympson
12-01-2013, 8:02 AM
Thanks for the help gentlemen.

William

george wilson
12-01-2013, 8:37 AM
Then,don't DO IT,Harry!!!:) They soak hides in dog poop in England's last authentic tannery,where they use original methods. They buy their leather from this place for use in the museum. The dog poop provides enzymes to loosen the hair.

Harry-you can tell from the slight distortion of the word "Henry",and the smallish "ss'es" in Disston in your stamp,that they bent the straight stamp into a curve after doing the letters.

harry strasil
12-01-2013, 10:02 PM
George, the new style scrapers are made of SS and the smell was generated from the hair and body fat and meat accumulated from use. What I meant by Raw is direct from the trapper or hunter and often as not the body was still in the skin,(I built the company 2 motorized skinning machines) also. Got myself into some real weird jobs over the years. Probably the worst was repairing sanitary sewer cast iron pump housings with an oxy-acetylene torch and bronze filler rod, sometimes way down below ground accessed via a very narrow corrugated tube with a steel rung ladder affixed to one side. Large person, small tube, makes for some interesting tiimes. Along with grain elevator leg pits full of sour wet grain, got the lil women agitated about going to the basement and stripping and tossing ones clothes in the washing machine and taking a shower before being allowed up stairs. LOL I guess it was fortunate our second house had an outside entrance to the basement!

george wilson
12-02-2013, 8:56 AM
Harry,I hope you are through with those NASTY,NASTY jobs!! Did you get all your typhoid and all the other shots first? Septic tank pumpers have to have all the shots before they are certified to do their work.