PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max S400P Carter Guide Adjustments

Kieran Kammerer
11-30-2013, 7:40 PM
Still getting to know my new saw. I have been having some problem betting the Carter Guides adjusted. The paper talks about tightening the slotted screw, however this is difficult to do with the guide post in the way. I am not sure if the guides have to be pushed way back, the guys placed in the approximate position with the screw then tightened and further adjusted with the two knurled knobs? Hope that makes some sense. Picture attached.

Thanks,

Kieran276035

Graham Hutchinson
12-01-2013, 1:03 PM
Hi Kieran, can't say that I am a fan of these guides either. The method that I have found that works for me is as follows.

There are two sets of guides, one set above the table and one below. I loosen them both and back everything away from the blade.
Tension the blade and turn the wheels so you can see that nothing is affecting the natural alignment of the blade. The blade should be running on the correct part of the tire on the wheel.
On the top guide set, move the guide set forward or back so that the guides will run on the flat steel section of the blade, not in the teeth area.
Slowly adjust the thumb screws unit they snug up to the blade without moving it. Tightening the set screw can move the guide position, so it helps to gradually tighten the set screw during the process.
Adjust the rear guide wheel depending on the blade. A 1" re-saw blade has a lot of stiffness and may not get pushed back onto the guide wheel. I set it back about 1/8" from the rear of the blade. A small blade will get pushed back more easily so you may want the rear guide wheel closer to it.
Repeat the process for the guides under the table.

Hope this helps. It does take a little practice.

Graham

Kieran Kammerer
12-01-2013, 5:52 PM
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the response. The problem I find is that the guide post sits directly in front of the set screw, thus making it difficult to adjust easily. Do you find the same thing? I find it hard to believe it would be designed this way. The old European guides actually look like they might have been much simpler to adjust. Do you have a favorite blade for resawing. Are you running the blade in the center of the tire? I had a problem with the switch being impossible to push into the locked on position with the protective outer cover installed. They have sent me a new switch, however I have not had time ti try and install it.

Thanks,

Kieran

Kieran

Graham Hutchinson
12-02-2013, 9:24 AM
Hi Kieran

The guide post does sit directly in front of the set screw, but the screw does not need to be super tight so angling a screwdriver into it seems to work ok. I use a Woodmaster CT 1" for resawing. The advice that I was given was to run 1" blades and 1/2" blades so that the teeth are off the tire. 3/8" and 1/4" blades can be all on the tire.

Good luck

Graham

Kieran Kammerer
12-02-2013, 7:15 PM
Thanks Graham.