PDA

View Full Version : installed spiral cutter head

allan kuntz
11-30-2013, 2:15 PM
I have just installed a spiral cutter head on the jointer and planer side of a Makita 2030. The planer side works great but on the jointer side when I run a board over it it cuts until it comes in contact with the out feed table and then stops. It is like the out feed table is too high. I can not see how you can lower the out feed table.
Any suggestions
Is it ever quiet in comparison

Al

Leo Graywacz
11-30-2013, 2:46 PM
Pretty sure that is the same machine I ran years ago. And on mine the outfeed table was fixed. So this might be a big issue with the fixed cutterhead you have.

Mark Carlson
11-30-2013, 3:56 PM
Can you shim the cutter head up?

allan kuntz
11-30-2013, 5:05 PM
I don't think I can shim up as the bearing holders are part of the frame. The inserts appear to be about 1/16 shy of the out feed table and I don't think they are adjustable.

Leo Graywacz
11-30-2013, 5:18 PM
I'd definitely try the shimming. Shim inside the bearing area as well as at the hold down bolts. I use masking tape as shims all the time. You just have to be sure to tighten them down a few times until you knew it wasn't going anywhere anymore.

allan kuntz
11-30-2013, 5:27 PM
I don't think it can be shimmed because the bearing holder is part of the casting. It is not a pillow block style. also the planer and jointer run on the same plane so if I move one it will effect the other. I sent an email to the company I bought them from for any suggestions

Mark Carlson
11-30-2013, 8:29 PM
Is the spiral cutter head made for that machine or is it a generic? If its designed for that machine it should work.

You also didnt seem positive that the outfeed was too high. Have you measured with a straight edge? Good luck.

~mark