PDA

View Full Version : Music as psychotherapy

Stephen Tashiro
11-30-2013, 3:07 AM
On visits to a nursing home, I notice patients suffering from dementia sitting in wheelchairs in the hallways. I assume they could choose to be in the hallway rather than watching TV in their rooms. My conclusion is that the complex content of TV no longer interests them. Is it plausible that some of them would find life more pleasant if they could listen to music? I found one site on the web that suggests this (http://musicandmemory.org/) but I haven't researched its claims.

mike holden
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
It is likely a personal thing. I for one, would find most others choice in music intolerable. I find the sound of bagpipes soothing. Doubt that anyone else in an assisted living facility would agree! (grin) I find that sitting quietly is an excellent second choice. Why would you think that people need noise?
Mike

Jerry Thompson
11-30-2013, 10:51 AM
I am an RN and I do home health care. I often go into adult care facilities that do no have licenses to do what I do. Often times there is piped music playing everywhere but in the residents rooms. More and more I hear Rap and other types of music that the clientele have no identity with. The staff who select this music are all young and seem to feel everyone has their tastes. It seems to me that music would be a great benefactor but one man's music is another man's noise.

David G Baker
11-30-2013, 12:31 PM
If the family got involved they may be able to supply music and a play back device so the patients could have access to their style of music.

Frederick Skelly
11-30-2013, 1:34 PM
All valid points. A friend of mine is taking a degree in music and intends to go to graduate school in "music therapy". Her father is one of the most logical, unemotional people I know. He tells me that music therapy has a measurable success rating when used "properly". (Im told thats not necessarily true for all psych-related therapies.) So I think Stephen has a point worth considering. But like everthing else, YMMV - one size doesnt necessarily fit all. For example, Mikes bagpipes would get my blood stirring, but wouldnt be soothing to me.