PDA

View Full Version : Just used a Bosch Carbide Blade on my Multi-Tool! Sweet & Smooth!!

John Yak
11-29-2013, 8:07 PM
I just spent 5 hours on Black Friday building some enclosures using some 5/16" thick Hardy Plank (cement board) I had on hand. I had to cut five accurate rectangular holes in this Cement Board. Usually I have drilled holes in the corners of the rectangles and then jig sawed the sides. I would slowly drill & saw with my oldest high-speed steel bits, knowing they would quickly dull up. And a dust mask was critical especially when jig sawing.

But I got a Bosch Carbide Tipped Blade for my Multi-Tool (Bosch OSC114C) and found I could plunge cut these cut-out quickly, smoothly and with less dust. It was like cutting ½" plywood instead of cement board. I'm sold!

I cut 56 linear inches in 5/16" thick cement board and 12 sections of ⅜" steel rod and threw in several miscellaneous trim cuts of ½" plywood. This Blade still looks new! (see pic below)

At around $20, I'm betting that this blade will far outlast any of the bi-metal blades I've usually use. I'm thinking of using this type carbide blade for ALL my Multi-Tool cutting jobs. Has anyone else already made this switch to carbide? Any downsides?

Glenn Willis
03-14-2020, 2:02 PM
I remember buying my first carbide 7 1/2" blade for my 77. Cost $11 when $2 or $3 for steel. I agonized couple days prior to sale, ruminating. Used it once, and have NEVER bought a steel blade again!!!

Will have to find one of your blades and put it to work.
But I will say that I use a carbide RotoZip for Wonder/Hardie board type stuff, and it works great. Any shape hole, Shop vac near for catching vaporized concrete.

Lee Schierer
03-15-2020, 2:49 PM
I've used a couple of the carbide Bosch blades for my multi tool and they are impressive. I've cut several 10d finish nails with them and they are still like new.

glenn bradley
03-15-2020, 3:03 PM
Another fan here. The ratio of replacement more than pays for these babies.

Jack Frederick
03-15-2020, 4:49 PM
I've had my Fein MT for a number of years. It is a really nice tool and has done excellent work. Due to the cost of blades I have always looked at it as the "tool I could not afford to use." When I need it I use it, but even the carbide cost gives me the willies.

Bill Dufour
03-15-2020, 6:05 PM
I have heard of folks taking a segment of a carbide toothed horizontal milling cutter and brazing it to a worn out blade hub. It only cuts on half the strokes but it lasts a long time. especially good in metal. Years ago Bosch had a blade giveaway and I was impressed enough to buy more Bosch made in Switzerland blades.
Bil lD

Jim Dwight
03-15-2020, 7:34 PM
I got an assortment of Bosch blades in an attempt to find better blades. The carbide is indeed a good blade, better than any other I have used on metal - apparently hardi board too. But I like Fein blades for cutting wood. I have the Festool plunge base adapted to my Fein multi tool and it is great for plunge cuts. I like using a multi tool to cut outlet openings in drywall. But I don't anything special in blades (or multi tools) for that.