PDA

View Full Version : New Shenhui 350d - Setup

Michaell Martinez
11-29-2013, 4:26 PM
Howdy All!

I have been lurking for a long time and thought I would finally post! I have wanted a laser cutter since I got out of the military in 2004. I finally realized my dream and I am anxious to get this thing really fired up.

I've unpacked the machine which had no visible damage. I checked the nuts and bolts and manually "drove" the axis around. Then I aligned the mirrors, ohh man so fun! Everything has gone smoothly thus far.

There are a few things on my mind that I am not quite sure about.

1. There is a clearish goop on the rails of the axis, should I clean that and lube with sewing machine oil as the manual suggests?

2. The view port came covered in paper, and I am about to remove it. Is it safe to watch the laser cut from here? In other words, if my children want to watch the laser cut, can they do it safely without the need for googles?

3. Should I add anything to the distilled water so that it doesn't "grow" anything... I've read that some of you add antifreeze... what about alcohol?

4. Lens cleaning solution, anything I should stay away from?

I really appreciate these forums and your willingness to help. I read a ton before I got this thing which made the decision a lot less stressful!

Michael

Dave Sheldrake
11-29-2013, 4:38 PM
Hi Mike,

1: Can do but I'd suggest white lithium grease for the slide rails.

2: Humm opinion really, lasers aren't the best things to have kids around.Safe if the laser is working fine but if it has a problem....not worth the risk as the injuries they can cause ,while not presenting a huge risk to an adult can be very nasty for a child (think 25,000+ volts in the power supply and you will get my drift;))but to answer the original question, it's "safe" to watch via the viewing window.

3: Try 50ml or so of baby bottle steriliser solution added to the mix.

4: Acetone or anything too harsh is a bad idea, use distilled water to clean wood / mdf residue and Isopropanol to clean plastic based muck off.

best wishes

Dave

Michaell Martinez
11-30-2013, 3:03 PM
Hi Dave!

Thank you for the answers... the manual is a bit... uh, difficult to parse at times. Re: kids, I don't think I am going to hand my five year old the keys anytime soon. However, he is supremely curious about how it works.

I am making my first cuts this afternoon! I am having crazy fun!!!

Mike

Dave Sheldrake
11-30-2013, 3:41 PM
Your service as part of the military is very much appreciated by many including me. If I can help with your laser questions please drop me a line anytime.

The fun increases the more you get used to Lasers :) all these years later I still watch my machines run and am constantly amazed by what they can do.

best wishes

Dave