PDA

View Full Version : new stove - counter cut-up?

Fred Voorhees
06-07-2005, 4:00 PM
As luck would have it - after replacing a clothes washer about three months ago, a water heater two months ago, and a refrigerator about a month ago, our kitchen range went kablooee last week and we ordered one last night for delivery soon.

We had been using the services of a "drop in" range and will now be replacing it with a "slide in" model. That means that I need to cut out what is left of the toe-kick area and also remove what is left of the counter top at the back of the stove area. That is about three inches or so. We have a formica type finish on the counter top and just wanted to know what you guys thought would be the best way to cut out the rest of the countertop? The toe-kick removal will be a simple task with a sawzall, but the countertop is something else. My guess is the same sawzall with a fine blade and also with masking tape at the cut area to help in preventing any chipping.

Jim Becker
06-07-2005, 4:14 PM
Tape first. Score really well second. Cut with the fine-tooth saw third. It's unfortunately an awkward place to work, too...maybe a fine-toothed hand saw would be an option rather than the powered sawsall?

Fred Voorhees
06-07-2005, 9:53 PM
I was thinking of that Jim - also gave thought to maybe cutting in as far as I could go with my handheld jigsaw with a fine blade and then maybe going from there and finishing up the cut with a handsaw and not even bothering with the sawzall.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-08-2005, 8:20 AM
Fred, your idea should work. You still need to score it by hand with a utility knife as Jim said. Even the finest of fine jigsaw blades can chip formica.