PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a cheap oil lamp?

Rich Engelhardt
11-29-2013, 8:56 AM
Our power went out and we dragged out our old cheap oil lamp.
It worked real well - aside from being dusty.
A lot better than candles.

I told my wife we should get a couple more of them & she looked online.

All she could find were ones in the $50 range:eek:.

That's about ten time more than I want to pay!
Other than hitting garage sales, anyone have an idea where I can pick up a couple for cheap?
A kerosene lantern would be fine also if it's cheap enough.

Brian Elfert
11-29-2013, 9:16 AM
Have you tried Craigslist? I looked at the local Craigslist and see a number of oil lamps for $15 to $25.

Do you really want to be burning a number of oil lamps in a modern house with all the ombustion byproducts? Oil lamps in their heyday were used in mostly uninsulated houses with lots of air exchange.

Raymond Fries
11-29-2013, 9:20 AM
We got one at a Meijer store. Our local super store. Kmart, Target, Walmart would also be options.

Try Amazon.com.

Good Luck.

Jim Matthews
11-29-2013, 9:22 AM
- 1 on oil lamps for the fire hazard.

I use the Coleman Flourescent lantern Coleman Lantern two 6V Flourescent Tube, Model: 5355-700.

Jerome Stanek
11-29-2013, 9:33 AM
Rural King has them starting at $7.99

Von Bickley
11-29-2013, 9:43 AM
Check out this place.....

http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=oil%20lamp

Myk Rian
11-29-2013, 10:08 AM
- 1 on oil lamps for the fire hazard.
Who mentioned anything about a fire hazard?

Perry Holbrook
11-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Have you tried Craigslist? I looked at the local Craigslist and see a number of oil lamps for $15 to $25.

Do you really want to be burning a number of oil lamps in a modern house with all the ombustion byproducts? Oil lamps in their heyday were used in mostly uninsulated houses with lots of air exchange.

I think liquid paraffin works in oil lamps. It burns without and soot.

Perry

phil harold
11-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Hmmm, If there is no power, at night I use mine when needed lot easier then starting the generator

Jerome Stanek
11-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Check out this place.....

http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=oil%20lamp

I do every time I'm down that way it is only about 25 miles from me. But I like their other store in Mt Hope better not as tourist oriented.

Tom Stenzel
11-29-2013, 2:54 PM
I think liquid paraffin works in oil lamps. It burns without and soot.

Perry

The liquid paraffin meant for oil candles didn't work for me in our wick oil lamps. It's too thick to draw up a wick to support a flame and it solidifies if it's cold.

I remember both the local Meijers and Walmart having oil lamps on the shelves. I think they were less than $15.

-Tom Stenzel

Roger Newby
11-29-2013, 7:19 PM
Get some solar powered outdoor lights and bring them in at night.

David G Baker
11-29-2013, 8:49 PM
Here in Mid Michigan we have an Amish store that sells oil lamps and repair parts. Their prices are reasonable. Be aware that using oil lamps for long periods will coat your walls and ceilings with the residue from burning the oil.

Rich Engelhardt
11-29-2013, 9:23 PM
Well - my wife found one at Walmart for $7.95 today while we were picking up some stuff there so she bought it.
I don't think the residue or anything will be a problem since we won't (w/any luck!) be using these on a regular basis.

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Lehman's is a great place to buy items that don't require electricity. We have oil lamps from them as well as the old style farm lanterns that are wind proof. We love them all. Great products and they give off lots of light when the power is out.

phil harold
12-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Here in Mid Michigan we have an Amish store that sells oil lamps and repair parts. Their prices are reasonable. Be aware that using oil lamps for long periods will coat your walls and ceilings with the residue from burning the oil.
That is where spring cleaning came from
Cleaning all the residue from candles and lamps

phil harold
12-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Get some solar powered outdoor lights and bring them in at night.

While this works, they only work if the rechargeable battery are good 2-3 years for best performance

Oil keeps for long periods of time

Kevin Bourque
12-02-2013, 2:53 PM
I have 2 oil lamps I bought at the True Value hardware for about $10 each. I use them for emergencies, and on my front porch instead of candles.

Ken Platt
12-02-2013, 10:06 PM
It's not what anyone asked but for the safety of the little kids please be careful with the lamp oil. It is a serious hazard if drunk, and believe me, young kids will drink (or try to drink) absolutely ANYTHING.

Ken

(day job as a pediatrician)

Jeff Erbele
12-03-2013, 4:51 AM
WalMart, Ace Hardware, Dicks Sporting Goods, Big 5 Sporting Goods, REI, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain, Amazon, or almost any sporting goods store.
Fuels - Oil, kerosine, white gas, propane or battery powered.

I have a square Coleman florescent model that uses 8 D-cells; they last a very long time and it lights up an average room nicely. It helps to elevate it though; just as normal room lighting isn't sitting on the kitchen table.

Personally I wouldn't go back to a liquid fuel and a flame, unless you were using it otherwise say for camping. It's not worth the associated risks, potential fire, kids drinking it or playing with it, plus having a special purpose, single fuel around.

Today you have new technology available, LED Lights, Solar Powered, Rechargeable Batteries and Hand Crank powered multi-purpose devices:
ETON Hand Crank AM/FM Weather Radio w/ USB Charger and Flashlight (http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.E223457.html?item=E223457&ref=GAS&tpl=detail&cm_ven=GOOGLESHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=Electronics&cm_pla=Portable%20Electronics&cm_ite=E223457-011-000&CAWELAID=600006460000520279&catargetid=600006460000311032&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla)

Google: Hand Crank or Hand Turbine + Flashlights, Lights or Radios

Rich Engelhardt
12-03-2013, 8:13 AM
No small kids in the house so that's not a concern.
I'll store the lamp oil in the garage along with my other solvents.
The lamps will go in the china closet in the dining room.

I think the main advantage of an oil lamp is that the things are ready to go for an incredible number of years.
I filled the one we have at least 27 years ago and it's still over 3/4 full.
At that rate, the new one and the old one will be around a long time after I'm gone - barring dropping it or something.

@ Jeff - yes- a hand crank radio is on my short list.
The dogs were very upset with the quiet in the house w/all the power off!
They huddled under the dining room table and shook and whimpered.
Go figure...