PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Ferrazzutti Box Making Class?

richard poitras
11-28-2013, 9:50 PM
Has anyone taken one of Adrian Ferrazzutti’s boxes making classes or any other of his classes? Basically I am interested in his box making class and am considering taking it. I have seen only one of his articles that was published in Fine Wood Working Magazine but that’s about it. I haven’t heard anything about him good or bad so basically I am looking for opinion's about one of his classes as it’s not too bad of a drive for me to attended one. I really would like to take one of Andrew Crawford’s box making classes as I love his boxes. But Adrian is the only box maker that offers classes that I have found that makes boxes similar to Andrew’s without having to travel abroad (South Shropshire UK) Can anyone give me any insight about him, his classes, or another artist that teaches classes on box making in the Andrew Crawford’s style?

Thanks

Chris Fournier
11-29-2013, 8:46 AM
I haven't taken one of Adrian's classes but he was a customer of mine years ago. He is a very nice guy and a very talented woodworker. I think that he would be a good teacher with a serious knowledge of the subject.

richard poitras
11-30-2013, 7:59 AM
Chris, thanks for the insite.

Richard

Ted Reischl
11-30-2013, 8:24 AM
He certainly makes great looking boxes.

Are you looking to learn more about how he does the marquetry or the basic construction of boxes? A few years back I taught box making classes at several WoodCraft stores in the midwest. From my experience, most of the folks in the class were primarily interested in how to get mitered corners correct.

If your interest is mostly construction, rather than decoration, there are a few things that make box making very easy once someone tells you about them. For instance, getting the miters correct is easy if you build a sled similar to what you would use for making cabinets. The only difference is that it set up for 45 degree cuts. Also, cutting the sides, top and bottom is done in a certain sequence so that once you set a stop on the fence, you cut ALL the parts that will use that dimension. The second big "secret" is to use masking tape (like painters tape) to do the clamping and alignment along a straight edge. If making boxes like AF's, all the parts are taped together like an unfolded box. I have found the best glue to use for mitered joints mold and trim glue. Sets fairly fast and is very strong.

Marquetry is an entirely different subject. Not something I have done much of (too tedious for me). Maybe when I am about 70 I will have the patience for that.

richard poitras
11-30-2013, 7:30 PM
Ted

Ted, I am interested in both basic construction and the wrap around marquetry. Basically the whole experience of making a high end box from start to finish with all the bells and whistles. What I would really like is make one of Andrew Crawford’s boxes with the curved /rounded /tapered sides.But thanks for the tips on the basic box construction.

Richard

Ted Reischl
12-01-2013, 7:54 AM
Richard, one thing I forgot to mention in my post was: Get a Wixey gage for setting the angles. Before the advent of those, it would take a few trial runs to get the 45's perfect. Now? Dead bang the first time, I don't even bother with trial cuts anymore.