PDA

View Full Version : gluing stones to a base

Matthew N. Masail
11-28-2013, 6:04 PM
I'd like to glue my stones to a base so I can use them all the way up, and to protect them in case of a fall. I was thinking glass but wood would be much nicer. as I was walking through IKEA today I picked up a couple Bamboo cutting boards. the "end grain" looks laminated to a perfect quater. do you think these will do well as a base for the stones? my main concern is how they hold up in water, and if they move or not. I plan to do a test by leaving a sized piece in water for a week but it seems like a good product for this so I thought I'd get your thoughts on it too.

Jim Leslie
11-28-2013, 6:34 PM
I use mine on a non-slip surface so they don't move under use. I get pretty particular about keeping them flat by using a DMT Dia-Flat plate.
Those things cost both an arm and a leg, but I would never be without it now. By being able to flatten both sides at once, I can flip it over and use the opposite side when the first side starts to wear. It has been my experience it does not take long at all for that to happen! Maybe it's because I sharpen more often than I used to, but once I discovered how having a flat stone has improved my edges so much, I flatten the stone pretty frequently. Reversing it saves me a trip to the sink. :)

Graham Haydon
11-28-2013, 7:07 PM
No use to a waterstone user but I just made a little house for my oilstone

Mike Henderson
11-28-2013, 7:51 PM
I used epoxy.

Mike

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-28-2013, 8:50 PM

That looks great, Graham! Great execution on those little details.

Harold Burrell
11-28-2013, 9:09 PM
I would suggest that you mount them, with epoxy, to glass. I know that some stones come mounted to wood, but I do not like the idea. I realize that some woods move less than others, but...the fact is...all wood moves.

Don Jarvie
11-28-2013, 9:15 PM
Don't mount them since you can only use 1 side. Make a frame for them to surround then out of 1/4 ply on a thicker piece of ply. I have a workmate so I have a piece of ply nailed to the bottom to hold in the vise.

David Weaver
11-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I'd just scuff the surface of the bamboo and glue a stone to it. I've glued stones to kingwood, cocobolo and walnut (only the walnut wasn't at least rift sawn) and never had any problem with any. The only trouble is that if you soak a stone on a wood base indefinitely, even with epoxy, it will eventually come off (took about a year for mine to come off).

The bamboo is so many little laminated pieces, I doubt it will move any perceptible amount.

Silicon and epoxy are reasonable options.

Glass as a base is fine, too.

Matthew N. Masail
11-29-2013, 4:31 AM
Thanks David, "The bamboo is so many little laminated pieces" that's what I am hoping. I'll try get some kind of "super 7" or other
silicon like glue that is good for under water. will post results in a couple of weeks when I do it - I'm packed to move right now. I just think it will look and feel much nicer than glass.

Matthew N. Masail
11-29-2013, 4:32 AM

Even though it's a total highjack, that looks gorgeous.

Tony Shea
11-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I originally went with a wood base and have regretted the decision ever since. Maybe some woods including the bamboo cutting board will move less than what I have but I will never use wood again. I will always opt for mounting my stones to glass from now on. My 1000grit Shapton Pro has developed cracks on the surface from the wood movement underneath. It has not posed an issue as far as sharpening goes but eventually may when it really gets worn down.

As for what glue, I would look at picking up some G-Flex epoxy. I love this stuff. It is designed for use on oily woods or bonding materials under water. I use it for everything that may be suspect if I just used regular wood glue. I've had a lot of water on my stones mounted to wooden bases and there is no sign of the epoxy ever letting go.

Matthew N. Masail
11-30-2013, 6:40 AM
Thanks Tony. I will put a piece of bamboo in water and see how it does. What wood did you use? .

Tony Zaffuto
11-30-2013, 7:14 AM
Like a few others here, I have a fairly large accumulation of stones (mainly oilstones). Generally dirt cheap at flea markets/antique malls, etc., although I do have a few modern stones. The modern stones that I have mounted, were done like the vintage: mortise for the stone (fairly tight) and let the oil/sharpening swarf roll over the edges. Not lock tight, but tight enough to hold stable yet loose enough to remove.

Matthew N. Masail
11-30-2013, 8:04 AM
sounds great for oil stones. the whole Idea is for a WATER stone to be able to use it until the last mm. my last stone cracked and broke into 2 when it got too thin. essentially wasting a 1\4 of a stone.

Jim Koepke
11-30-2013, 1:16 PM
my last stone cracked and broke into 2 when it got too thin. essentially wasting a 1\4 of a stone.

That is when you use it to make a slip stone.

Maybe what you really need is to buy some gouges or some molding planes. :D

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
11-30-2013, 3:10 PM
Maybe what you really need is to buy some gouges or some molding planes. :D

jtk

Now do you really have to remind me of more tools I cannot afford? :)

Don Jarvie
11-30-2013, 8:28 PM
Maybe I don't understand but why would you want to glue or permently attach a stone to a piece of wood, etc so you can only use 1 side? I can see a diamond plate that only has 1 side but an oil or ceramic stone has 2 sides that can be used.

Matthew N. Masail
11-30-2013, 8:37 PM
I always use 1 side anyway. If it needs to be flattened it takes 15 seconds. I have 1 stone on which I use both sides, it's a very hard stone, but I keep forgetting which side I last flattened...

I plane to get some oil stones or something else very hard for carving tools when I eventually get some