PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Please!

James Tibbetts
11-27-2013, 7:15 PM
Hi all,
What types/brands of grinder hardware do you folks suggest for salt/pepper mills? Any particular brands to stay away from or go looking for? Ceramic or metal?
Complete newbie so I need all the help and schooling I can get!

Thanks,
Jim

Dwight Rutherford
11-27-2013, 7:37 PM
Search this forum, should get all kinds of info.

charlie knighton
11-27-2013, 7:41 PM
Nick Cook suggested sticking to one size (height)......he likes 10 inch

Peter Fabricius
11-27-2013, 8:41 PM
Hi Jim,
Look for the Ceramic mechanism, it is really the best.
the instructions call for a few special sized drill bits, but you do not need to buy them. Just drill with what you have undersized and then increase the hole sizes as needed with a parting tool.
good luck.
Peter F.

Scott Hackler
11-27-2013, 8:49 PM
I have only made a few pepper mills and have a few more to get made before Christmas. I learned how to make them using Crush Grind mechanisms and will probably never buy anything else. They cost more than the standard ones, but will last forever, there is no "knob" on the top and you can cut the shaft shorter for a perfect fit.

Brian Kent
11-27-2013, 9:23 PM
Hi Jim,
Just drill with what you have undersized and then increase the hole sizes as needed with a parting tool.
Peter F.

How do you use a parting tool on the inside of a long tube? I can't picture it.

Jamie Donaldson
11-27-2013, 10:47 PM
My trusty Hunter#5 would be my weapon of choice for that job.

James Tibbetts
11-27-2013, 10:53 PM
CrushGrind has gotten a lot of good press in this and other threads. Their ceramic looks like the way to go. They are not cheap but price is a secondary concern to me. The finished project has to be accptabvle to my harshest critic, (of course that would be me!).
Thanks so far and any more suggestions are always welcome.
Jim

Bill Hunt
11-28-2013, 11:13 AM
I use the made in the US ones from Packard. I've probably done over 100 in the last couple of years and never had a problem with any of them. Buying 10 at a time you get 10% discount.
Bill

Joseph M Lary
11-28-2013, 12:35 PM
I have only used the ones form chief specialties , you have to buy salt grinders or pepper .Crush Grind will do both and spices too, that is a plus if you are selling them.

Peter Fabricius
11-28-2013, 8:25 PM
Hi Brian,
I use a 1/4" x 1/4" parting tool and it goes in easily since you only have to increase the size of the holes that take the mechanism. The long inside hole can be a standard drill size, the pepper really does not care how big the hole is and there is lots of space in there for lots of pepper or salt.
hope this helps.
Peter F.