PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" bandsaw blade on 17" saw?

Stan Mitchell
11-27-2013, 6:04 PM
Occasionally I need to do some scroll work and an 1/8" blade would probably be just about right for what I have in mind.

So my question is: can I run an 1/8" blade on my 17" G0513X2 Grizzly with any success or should I look at something like the little 10" Rikon bandsaw dedicated to small blades.

I don't have much experience with small bandsaws other than I know that they have their issues. Not sure a little saw would handle thicker hardwoods and such.

Thoughts?

Myk Rian
11-27-2013, 7:00 PM
I would go with a smaller saw, but not a Rikon. Seen too many negatives.
The only smaller band saws I would recommend are more than 40 years old.

Mark Draper
11-27-2013, 7:05 PM
If you are going to get a separate machine for delicate work why not get a scroll saw.

Stan Mitchell
11-27-2013, 7:34 PM
If you are going to get a separate machine for delicate work why not get a scroll saw.

Got one - and it's fine for the delicate stuff. I'm thinking more along the lines of making tight turns on a band saw box project.

If not a Rikon, are there other brands that I should consider? I don't have room for a 14" saw or I'd go that direction.

Ed Aumiller
11-27-2013, 7:37 PM
I have a G0513 (not the xx series) and use a 1/8" on it all the time, even for some resawing...
If you need it to do fine detail on curves, etc.. there is a company (don't remember who) who makes an upper/lower back guide with a groove in the center to allow the blade to twist when you put the guide at the very top...

What I do in similiar cases is leave the side guides fairly loose, crank the top guides as high as possible to give the blade plenty of room to twist and go to it...
It works really good...
Also, I replaced the side guides (both top & bottom) with cherry dowels (any hardwood will work) so the blades do not hit metal when twisting them...

Also, I have a 12" Craftsman and much prefer an 1/8" on the G0513 than it...

Myk Rian
11-27-2013, 7:50 PM
If not a Rikon, are there other brands that I should consider? I don't have room for a 14" saw or I'd go that direction.
As upthread, a Delta 10" sounds like just the machine for the job. Might have to do a bit of searching/waiting, but they do come up on OWWM from time to time.
A very sturdy saw just like its big brother 14"er. Just smaller. I'd like to have one myself.

John McClanahan
11-27-2013, 7:52 PM
The guide bearing with a groove in it is made by Carter. With it, you don't use any lower guides. They have a video of it at their web site. carterproducts.com.

John

edit typo

glenn bradley
11-27-2013, 8:03 PM
FWIW I find an 1/8" blade fussy even on a 10" saw. Using cool blocks and burying the blade in them for control can help. I have a 17" and picked up the 10" for just such occasions. The 10" is quite handy and pays for the real estate it takes up. I also have a scroll saw.

Stan Mitchell
11-27-2013, 9:28 PM
I like the idea of the Carter Stabilizer guide. I remember when they came out a few years ago.

I don't see anything listed specifically for a 17" Grizzly or the (5/8"?) Hexegon mount - so there must be some kind of adapter I'm guessing? :confused:

The price of a guide is a bit more attractive than a new machine. :)