PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a cordless CMS?

Rich Engelhardt
11-27-2013, 3:52 PM
The latest issue of Wood Magazine shows a Makita 36V chainsaw. Makita uses two 18 V batteries to get the 36 V. Pretty clever IMHO.
Wood also suggests that same two battery setup could be used for a router or CMS.
That got me thinking about having a cordless CMS and how handy it would be.
I concluded - thanks, but no thanks.
I can't think of a situation where it would really work all that great.

Mike Heidrick
11-27-2013, 4:32 PM
I would not buy one. I have no need to cut with a CMS in places with no power. Same with a router. I have a Stihl for a chainsaw - no 36V chainsaw needed either.

Loren Woirhaye
11-27-2013, 4:46 PM
I had the Ryobi one for awhile. The rim speed was too slow to use it like a corded saw, but for cutting a little trim it would be ok. One time when I first used it I plunged the saw too fast and the blade deflected or grabbed the work or something and chewed up the plastic insert.

Jeff Duncan
11-27-2013, 5:40 PM
I bought the Makita 18v some years ago when they first came out. I thought it would be great to have a light saw you could easily carry up several flights to a job and not have to find an outlet. It was OK for small stuff but was too light duty and underpowered for even some of the lighter tasks. Not sure I'd buy one again though, I'd have to see some real improvements to temp me.

JeffD