PDA

View Full Version : T.V. Armiore finished (pics)

John Lubeski
06-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Well, I finally finished up the T.V. armiore I've been working on and off on since last August (I think :confused: ). All solid soft maple construction except for the back panel and the drawer bottoms which are plywood. This was my first furniture project I've ever attempted, so I bought a plan to work from, and modified it for the solid wood construction, and to be able to put a T.V in the top (plans had a divider with shelves). I made plenty of mistakes on this project, the door panels would have matched, but a mishap resawing ended that! :sigh: I also misdrilled the holes for the knobs in the large drawers (a moment of stupidness) and you can see my fix ended up being inlays (mammoth ivory) in the center of the drawers. I also didn't put the molding on the top and bottom of the cabinet as called for in the plans, I have an abnormally narrow bedroom door and this thing is HUGE, it just barely fit though the door. I'm thinking about putting at least the top molding on yet in a way that it can be removed so I can move the armiore back out someday! You can see all the pictures at my website: http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/armoire.html

http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/onlinestorage/armiore_frt2.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/onlinestorage/armiore_side.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/onlinestorage/armiore_lg_dwrs.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/onlinestorage/armiore_sml_drws.JPG
Thanks,
John Lubeski

John M. Cioffi
06-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Awesome job,John!

You did real good.
How did you finish it? The diamond inlays are really a beatuiful accent.
I would vote for the trim on top. It would make all your beautiful work stand right out.
Thanks for sharing.This is inspiring me to build the entertainment center a friend just gave me plans for.
John

Jeff Sudmeier
06-07-2005, 12:49 PM
John,

That looks great! The time you spent on it was well worth it.

John Lubeski
06-07-2005, 1:29 PM
Awesome job,John!

You did real good.
How did you finish it? The diamond inlays are really a beatuiful accent.
I would vote for the trim on top. It would make all your beautiful work stand right out.
Thanks for sharing.This is inspiring me to build the entertainment center a friend just gave me plans for.
John

It is finished with BLO/Urethane/MS wiped on, about three coats, 3M sythenic steel wool inbetween coats and after to knock down the gloss further.

I actually made the molding for the top, however, I forgot to add in for the additional lenth of the mitered corners, and milled out my rough stock a bit short, so I need to make another piece yet, just hasn't been a priority yet.

Tyler Howell
06-07-2005, 1:39 PM
Very Nice. I like the use of materials.:cool:

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2005, 1:40 PM
It is finished with BLO/Urethane/MS wiped on, about three coats, 3M sythenic steel wool inbetween coats and after to knock down the gloss further.I was doing fine until I went into acronym overload...what is "MS"?

Tyler Howell
06-07-2005, 1:41 PM
I was doing fine until I went into acronym overload...what is "MS"?Mineral Spirits??

Von Bickley
06-07-2005, 1:42 PM
John,
Great looking cabinet. The inlays in the drawer fronts are design features, not fixes. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-07-2005, 1:42 PM
Lee, I think it is Mineral Spirits in this case... Also known as Witches Brew, my fav finish.

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2005, 1:45 PM
Lee, I think it is Mineral Spirits in this case...(slaps forehead)

Jay Knepper
06-07-2005, 2:11 PM
It looks great, John. Sometimes you can find really attractive soft maple, and it looks like you did for this project--and made the most of it.

Jon Olson
06-07-2005, 2:24 PM
Great project! similar to the design I'm working on. I like the inlay also...sometimes mistakes turn into big ++++. Soft maple and that finish are very nice.

I think some type of removable molding at the top would be good.

????What hardware did you use for the pocket doors and how much extra space did the hardware take up??

Jon

Michael Gabbay
06-07-2005, 3:31 PM
John - That is a beautiful piece. I really like the simple clean lines and the attention to the details.

Mike

Charlie Jones
06-07-2005, 4:32 PM
I like it. The repair inlays show your thinking and that is what develops craftmanship. No one is perfect, its how perfectly you can fix it..

Richard Wolf
06-07-2005, 5:19 PM
Wonderful job. Don't dwell on your mistakes. Most people will never notice them. Is that ambrosia maple? Interesting stuff.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
06-07-2005, 6:08 PM
Awesome! Looks fantastic!

Corey

Greg Heppeard
06-07-2005, 6:13 PM
That's the sign of a good woodworker, covering the mistakes so it looks like it was planned.....you planned well ! ! !

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2005, 6:34 PM
Excellent project.....I like the design and the finish. I vote for the trim ...maybe screwed from behind through a couple of glue blocks (no glue of course) to hide the screws. Then they would be removeable. Excellent recovery using the diamond inlays.....Excellent project!

John Lubeski
06-07-2005, 6:47 PM
Great project! similar to the design I'm working on. I like the inlay also...sometimes mistakes turn into big ++++. Soft maple and that finish are very nice.

I think some type of removable molding at the top would be good.

????What hardware did you use for the pocket doors and how much extra space did the hardware take up??

Jon

I used Knape and Vogt 8080EZ series hardware for the doors, they seem very well made and weren't difficult to install. Including the door thickness (3/4") the door and hardware take up about 1 3/8" of space on each side. That does not include the small rollers that are installed on the top of the shelf (you can see them in the picture with doors open. With them about 2 1/4".

Thanks for all the complements guys!

John L.

John Lubeski
06-07-2005, 6:55 PM
Wonderful job. Don't dwell on your mistakes. Most people will never notice them. Is that ambrosia maple? Interesting stuff.

Richard

It is ambrosia (wormy) maple. Although a lot of the batch I got had very little of it, and quite a bit of it was figured, not bad stuff for $1.13 bd ft.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 187284" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Ken Fitzgerald</TD><TD class=alt2>Excellent project.....I like the design and the finish. I vote for the trim ...maybe screwed from behind through a couple of glue blocks (no glue of course) to hide the screws. Then they would be removeable. Excellent recovery using the diamond inlays.....Excellent project!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ken,
I did make some of the molding, and my idea for the top molding was to add some extra with for a rabbit edge and then screw down from the top. The only way anyone would see the screws is if they were over 6'6" tall!(its about 80" tall)

Vaughn McMillan
06-07-2005, 8:12 PM
Beautiful job, John. Add my vote for the top trim, and my congratulations for the nice mistake recovery. (Of course, if you hadn't mentioned the mistake, we'd all be thinking the diamonds are part of your design.) I also really like the maple you used, and the way you used it.

Thanks for the pics -

- Vaughn