PDA

View Full Version : A novel use for your engraver

David Somers
11-27-2013, 2:34 PM
For those of you into a challenge....and into Thanksgiving of course....
Consider that we roast turkeys in our ovens. We fry them in big vats of boiling oil. We smoke them in smokers. Etc There are a gazillion ways to cook a turkey.

But.....

Have you tried preparing your Thanksgiving Turkey in your engraver?

Think of the possibilities!
Many of our engravers only cost a few bucks a day to run at most. Doing a turkey in them would be no big deal.

Many of you have a rotary device for the engraver. With a small modification it can become a rotisery.

Start the Turkey off with the laser on high to take off the feathers. Be sure to make copious use of your venting system.

Once the feathers are gone remove the turkey and prep and stuff it as you usually would. Put a drip pan beneath your honeycomb table to get the drippings for gravy later on.

Fire the laser up on a low slow setting and do a raster engraving on it about 8 hours or until it reaches 165 degrees. You might want to use a 4 inch lens to maintain an adequate focal length from the turkey so you don't get grease on the lens.

When it is done you can even personalize the turkey by switching over to some more appropriate engraving settings like you might use for leather.

And of course, switch to vector mode for carving!

There you go. A unique and fun use for that laser unit.

Be sure to clean up well after, especially your lense and mirrors.

And Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Dave

Kev Williams
11-27-2013, 2:50 PM
Pretty sure I could tattoo a turkey in my laser, but I'm even more that sure that even lasering it for 80 hours, it might be a bit cold in the middle!

;)

Brian Robison
11-29-2013, 7:25 PM
Too much time on your hands Dave?

Bill Cunningham
12-05-2013, 9:41 PM
Why not just let some acrylic catch fire in your machine, leave the lid open to minimize the damage, and let the rotator spin the turkey through the flames for about an hour.. Who knows, the new 'plastic' taste may catch on like the smell of a current new car, as compared to cars from the 50's .. Modern Off gassing that Beano wont cure:D

David Somers
12-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Bill!

And with the hot acrylic in there you could shrink wrap the turkey as you cook it!!! <grin>

D