PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine vibrates

Stephen Tashiro
11-27-2013, 9:51 AM
What can cause a washing machine to vibrate too much besides bad springs, unlevel floor or un-rigid floor?

My Kenmore "Heavy Duty 70" washing machine has begun to vibrate violently during the spin cycles. (It was made about 1986. I still haven't found the Sears model number on it. It's been in the same location since 1986.) I can rock the tub back in forth by hand in any direction. The tub rocks smoothly but It feels like there is not enough resistance to the motion.

I took the cover off. The suspension has 4 springs mounted horizontally and one spring mounted vertically. None of the springs are broken. I don't know how stiff the springs are supposed to be, but it would take some effort to pull them off.

Lee Schierer
11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Look under the machine for any loose pieces. Did you try spinning with no load? There may be something stuck to the drum that is throwing off the balance.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Washing machines, from just my experience fixing my own, have a transmission to facilitate the back and forth motion. When that starts to go out it starts to wobble. The good news is washing machines are actually extremely simple. It has been a while, but I believe mine just had a rubber bushing in the transmission that needed to be replaced. Sorry that it was long ago and I can't remember the specific part, but I do remember that it was a simple fix.