PDA

View Full Version : Edge Sander Question

Rick Hubbard
11-27-2013, 5:50 AM
We have an older edge sander in our shop (pedigree uncertain) that seems to be set up incorrectly. Instead of the belt running against the platen, there is a section of what appears to be reversed sand paper between the sanding belt and the steel platen. Does this need to be there? For some reason it will not sand "square" even though the belt and table are set at 90 degrees. Also, how close to the belt should the table be positioned?

Thanks for the input..

Matt Meiser
11-27-2013, 9:22 AM
Mine has a graphite pad on the platen. Are you sure that's not what it is? If its something soft, I would think the belt would tend to round the edge as you push into the platen.

Mine came with a plywood table which warped so I replaced it with a solid maple glue-up. I just kept it about the same distance--didn't really give it much thought. Maybe 1/8" or 3/16" from the belt?

Jeff Duncan
11-27-2013, 9:45 AM
Matt's correct in that there should be a graphite liner glued to the platen. Since this is an older machine though it may be time for a rejuvenation. There's a fair chance if it's a machine that has seen some use that the platen is no longer flat. You'll have to scrape off whatever is currently on there and check the condition of the platen. If it is worn you'll want to get it back to flat first. Then a fresh piece of graphite cloth can be applied and you'll be back in business!

good luck,
JeffD