PDA

View Full Version : Settings for a 75w Epilog Helix

Terry R Peterson
11-26-2013, 10:42 PM
We just moved from a 30w Helix 24 to a 75w Helix 24. On the 30w we used 8 speed/100 power to cut 3/16" acrylic, and 12 speed/100 power to cut 1/8" acrylic. Both at 5000hz. 99% of the time there is zero flame, perfect cut.

We are miserably failing at finding good settings on the 75w. Pure flame-thrower every time. Any recommendations on what settings you use to cut acrylic with a 75w Epilog? :confused:

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-Terry

John Pletcher
11-27-2013, 10:51 AM
According to the recommended settings in their manual for the 75 watt Helix, the recommended settings for cutting 1/8" thick acrylic is speed 20, power 100, freq 5000; for 1/4" acrylic is speed 12, power 100, freq 5000; and 3/8" acrylic is speed 5, power 100, freq 5000. Also make sure you have the air nozzle on.

Terry R Peterson
11-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks John, tried the "read the manual" thing... didn't work ;)

Problem is getting closer to solved. With our 30 watt laser we've always kept the paper on the top and bottom, no flame up issue. Now with this 75 watt laser, pretty much every setting from 8spd/20pwr up to 20spd/100pwr causes large amounts of flame. By taking the paper off the top, cuts perfect at 20spd/100pwr.

It does leave a smoke residue, which is why we always kept both sides paper masked. We've never been successful in getting that really well cleaned off. Looks like we'll use the 75 watt laser for items that don't need to be pristine on both sides, and continue using our 30 watt for things that do. Not exactly our plan when buying a higher wattage laser.

Dan Hintz
11-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I would make sure your air is working at the table (plenty of stories here about plugged lines, failed compressors, etc.). If it's working, make sure it's aimed correctly and at the proper psi.

David Somers
11-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Dan,

I am asking this as a pre-newbie, as always!! <grin> Terry doesn't say if the new Helix is a new unit, or new to him....used in other words. Any chance the lens/mirrors are simply dirty?

Dave

Terry R Peterson
11-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I would make sure your air is working at the table (plenty of stories here about plugged lines, failed compressors, etc.). If it's working, make sure it's aimed correctly and at the proper psi.

Dan, Do you have any recommendations on how to test this? I have the air compressor Epilog gave us, which barely does 5-to-10psi. And one I bought with a regulator for 20-to-30psi (it can do more, but 30 being the highest you're supposed to supply to a Helix). I've been switching back and forth b/t these two as I've run tests, both are operational. Since the Helix has a valve to shut-off air-assist when the machine isn't cutting, not sure how to verify it's working.

Ross Moshinsky
11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
My guess is a focus issue.

Michael Hunter
11-27-2013, 1:12 PM
Since the Helix has a valve to shut-off air-assist when the machine isn't cutting, not sure how to verify it's working.

Set the machine to vector very slowly. Open the door and stick your finger under the air nozzle.

WARNING! If your interlocks are not working, then you could end up with a very sore finger.

Also, make sure that the nozzle is pointed in the right direction.
If the design is the same as on the Legends, then the tube can swivel round a bit if the assembly has accidentally hit something.

Scott Shepherd
11-27-2013, 1:34 PM
I cut a lot of acrylic, 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", and 1/2", various colors and clear. We are using 75W, but not an Epilog and it cuts nice and clean with the paper on both sides. My guess is you just haven't found that sweet spot yet. When you do, you'll be able to cut it with the paper on. We do remove paper on 1 side or both sides for certain things, for certain reasons, but 3/16" cuts fine with paper on both sides.

Jerome Stanek
11-27-2013, 2:18 PM
I find that when I cut acrylic with the paper on it gives me just a little distortion on the edges.

Terry R Peterson
11-28-2013, 6:41 AM
Dan,

I am asking this as a pre-newbie, as always!! <grin> Terry doesn't say if the new Helix is a new unit, or new to him....used in other words. Any chance the lens/mirrors are simply dirty?

Dave

David, The 75w laser is an older Helix (2006). I ran a large number of tests cuts on it right after receiving it, then cleaned the lens (which were rather dirty) and then continued running test. Results were the same either way. Thx