PDA

View Full Version : How to rip 54.7/35.3 back cut on crown...

Michael Dunn
11-26-2013, 3:54 PM
Hey guys,

I know these aren't the typical spring angles. My situation is a bit different and quite interesting. I have a canopy bed with upper rails that must have these (54.7 and 35.3) degree angles ripped along each edge.

The 54.7 is easy. The 35.3... Not so much. At least not to my knowledge. Any tips on how to safely rip 4 boards (2 @ roughly 7' and / @ roughly 8') with one edge being at a 35.3 degree angle to the face?

Neither of my bandsaws will tilt this much, nor will either of my table saws or my festool TS-75, or my jointer. As I'm typing this I realized my numbers were backwards. I can set my table saw for a 54.7 degree cut, but the resultant angle that is left is the 35.3. So I need to cut the 35.3 that leaves the resultant 54.7 on one of the edges of each of the 4 boards.

Do me a favor and spare me any 'drama' along the lines of some of the other recent threads regarding my jobs and potential jobs. Thanx! If were all honest with ourselves there's always something for ALL of us to learn in almost any job or project. If not, then you're/were not pushing our limits and are therefor stagnating as woodworkers. I, for one, am not afraid to push myself. I know what I can and can't do. So let's please keep the answers, if any, limited to the questions asked.

As my father always quoted, "The difficult I can do right away. The impossible... That'll take a little while."

I'll upload a SketchUp drawing now and a close up of the piece on question in a minute.

Ted Reischl
11-26-2013, 4:24 PM
Turn the board 90 degrees. you will need to place blocks that run on top of your fence, or a long strip will do. This will keep the board from twisting when you get to the end of the cut.

Also, a good idea to set your feather board high to hold the board against the fence.

Brian Kerley
11-26-2013, 4:30 PM
How many feet do you need? You probably could mark your lines and plane it with a jack plane to the lines pretty quickly. Lot easier than jigging something up.

Erik Christensen
11-26-2013, 4:30 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188449-How-do-YOU-cut-a-55*-back-angle-on-crown-molding

Michael Dunn
11-26-2013, 4:33 PM
How many feet do you need? You probably could mark your lines and plane it with a jack plane to the lines pretty quickly. Lot easier than jigging something up.

About 30'. Too much IMO. Plus, I don't have a jack plane.

James Baker SD
11-26-2013, 4:48 PM
Do you have a shaper with tilting spindle? A beveled cutter tilted the extra amount needed to get past the 45 degree limit of your table saw would be the easy solution. If not, maybe build a ramp to set on the table saw table to increase the effective tilt of the blade or on the bandsaw to increase the tilt of the table. Or a ramp on the table of a non tilting shaper is another possibility. Or a custom ramped base for a big handheld router.

Michael Dunn
11-26-2013, 5:01 PM
Turn the board 90 degrees. you will need to place blocks that run on top of your fence, or a long strip will do. This will keep the board from twisting when you get to the end of the cut.

Also, a good idea to set your feather board high to hold the board against the fence.

Brilliant! Glad I thought of it! ;) At first I had trouble envisioning what you meant. Then I read the thread that Erik posted...

Thanx guys! Problem solved!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2013, 10:18 PM
A friendly reminder, folks.

Keep it civil. You can give advice without being caustic or confrontational and you can disagree in a civil, friendly manner.