PDA

View Full Version : Making Traditional Wooden Planes e-book

Steve Voigt
11-26-2013, 3:27 PM
Hey all,
I'm reposting this from Caleb James' blog, since that's where I found out about it. John Whelan's book is now available as a free download:

http://kapeldesigns.blogspot.com/2013/11/making-traditional-wooden-planes-by.html

As Caleb says, this the book to get if you want to make traditional woodies. There are a lot of things you could legitimately criticize about the book, but it's got a ton of great info. Check it out if you want to stop laminating and start mortising.

- Steve

Chris Griggs
11-26-2013, 3:28 PM
Dude!!!!!! Sweet!!!!. Thanks for the link!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-26-2013, 4:00 PM
It's a great book. Highly recommended.

Zach Dillinger
11-26-2013, 4:16 PM
Remember when copies were selling for a couple hundred dollars a piece? That was nuts.

Jim Belair
11-26-2013, 5:22 PM
I'm leery of "free" downloads that seem too good to be true, from a site that seems to entice one in ("free books"). This one falls in that category. Seems like a good way to infect your computer. Just sayin'....

Dave Lehnert
11-26-2013, 5:31 PM
People were selling that book for big $$$$$$ ?

Guess I got lucky and purchasd that book when it first came out. Had the local book store order it for me.

Steve Voigt
11-26-2013, 5:57 PM
Update: Ugh. Apparently it was not a legit, legal download. Sorry everybody. :(

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-26-2013, 8:18 PM
From Caleb's update on his blog, it sounds like Astragal Press is looking to finally republish it, although there is no ETA. I'll certainly be picking it up when it comes out.

Jon Shank
11-27-2013, 6:53 AM
On the upside since I was looking he had some free wooden plane plans I hadn't seen before. So score there anyway.

Jon