PDA

View Full Version : So much fun I almost feel guilty.

Brian Kent
11-26-2013, 1:48 PM
What a joy to wake up in the morning and start and finish a small form before leaving for work.

Happy.

Avocado hollow form, about 4".

Roger Chandler
11-26-2013, 2:20 PM
No reason to feel guilty, Brian. Even for clergy, I feel the good Lord allows some time for creativity, renewal and refreshing........a must if you ask me.......sometimes it takes the form of spiritual activities and sometimes recreational. As long as you are tending to your duties, then it is a blessing!

Brian Kent
11-26-2013, 3:47 PM
The serious message of this post is that sometimes I just get an emotional lift from this art. This morning was one of those times. The fact that it was small and the wood easy to turn meant that I could go start to finish in an hour. I love it.

Paul Engle
11-26-2013, 4:36 PM
The serious message of this post is that sometimes I just get an emotional lift from this art. This morning was one of those times. The fact that it was small and the wood easy to turn meant that I could go start to finish in an hour. I love it.

I retired in Jan this year and still " floating " ....... :eek::D:D . BTW, nice looking HF !!!

Lori Kleinberg
11-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Really nice HF.

Rob Boesem
11-27-2013, 1:20 AM
Congrats on a really nice HF, and a great start to your day!!! :)

Victor Robinson
11-27-2013, 1:03 PM
Very nice Brian! Totally agree on the instant gratification of turning...it's a real joy! What are you using for hollowing?

Bill White
11-27-2013, 1:14 PM
You read the grain perfectly on that puppy. Well done.
Bill

Brian Kent
11-27-2013, 3:05 PM
Very nice Brian! Totally agree on the instant gratification of turning...it's a real joy! What are you using for hollowing?

I made a 45° face on a 3/4" round rod, drilled a hole and epoxied a 1/4" HSS cutter. Added a copper ferrule and an oak handle and I have a hand-held hollower that I can learn with. I also sanded a flat surface - maybe 1/4" wide - on the bottom of the bar to give a registration. I am intentionally learning on small pieces because of the torque and the learning curve.

I got the plans from a Creeker and when I remember who I'll tell you. It could have been Thom Sturgill.

Bob Bergstrom
11-27-2013, 5:24 PM
If you could work second shift you would really have an emotional lift. Great job and way to start the day.