PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Champion Windows?

Matt Meiser
11-26-2013, 1:11 PM
We need to replace our oversized basement windows (roughly 24x48.) Yeah, sure...use a wood window in a basement...I'm sure it will be fine. Anyway, I just had Champion out for a quote and based on some quick price research for a DIY vinyl window their price for the complete job isn't bad at all. Supposedly a high quality vinyl window if you believe their marketing with a lifetime warranty. They also gave me a quote on glass block which is popular around here and about 60% of the cost of full windows. He says windows are actually more energy efficient and my thinking is that if we ever chose to finish the basement being able to see out would be nice, especially since one of those rooms would be my office.

Anyone have them? Would you do it again?

Dave Lehnert
11-26-2013, 5:10 PM
Matt,

I had Champion windows put in my house 8 or 10 years ago. Never a problem with them. Had around 22 to replace.
Champion is a local company here in Cincinnati so I as able to go to the factory and check things out first.
The installers were the fastest workers I had ever seen. They had the old windows out and the new ones in place in 3 or 4 hours. Took another day to caulk and trim everything out.

The Factory is huge.
http://goo.gl/maps/lZWw4

Jerome Stanek
11-26-2013, 6:03 PM
Had Champion out to quote windows and siding the started about $10,000 more that the other quotes but then started to drop when I said they were way to much. I don't like salesmen that do that. He dropped about $2,000 the next quote and I told him no and I would let him know if I change my mind but don't waste any more of my time He wanted to re quote again and I said no just leave.

Art Mann
11-26-2013, 6:11 PM
I got a quote from Champion but ultimately went with a company called Window World. Their high end products are very similar. I couldn't be more pleased with my windows. The original windows in my house were mediocre quality and I could tell an immediate difference in how hot the area around the windows felt (summer installation). Raising and lowering and cleaning were much easier. Brands aside, I am just saying that I think you will really appreciate having new windows.

I had the same experience as Matt with the installation. They replaced every window in our house in less than one day.

Bruce Volden
11-26-2013, 6:45 PM
I got a quote from Champion but ultimately went with a company called Window World. Their high end products are very similar. I couldn't be more pleased with my windows. The original windows in my house were mediocre quality and I could tell an immediate difference in how hot the area around the windows felt (summer installation). Raising and lowering and cleaning were much easier. Brands aside, I am just saying that I think you will really appreciate having new windows.

I had the same experience as Matt with the installation. They replaced every window in our house in less than one day.
I, too, had Window World come out last year and replace an Anderson in my LV. I went with a larger 6'h X 8'w window for a larger viewing area. My wife and I have been VERY pleased--they installed the window -I finished the trim, not to save money but to keep the 1897 build trim ongoing. My biggest complaint is all the critters flying into the window, including bugs. There is a constant "ping" from the summer bugs :)
I would like to post on WW's site that they could really use follow-up from customers for advertisement as I think I could "make-em-some-money"

Bruce

Matt Meiser
11-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I'll have to see if there's any wiggle in their price. They quoted $2000 for 3 windows. I figured its probably $1K for custom-size windows based on previous experience, plus around $200 for other materials for the install and exterior trim out. I figured 2 guys the better part of the day but obviously if that's all they do, they are probably a lot faster. Out of line? This is the first quote I got. A contractor friend doesn't really want to do it (suggested a custom window company) and another contractor who's done work for my parents hasn't responded. I just filled out the contact form for the local Window World location. My main concern is a quality window from someone who's going to do a good job rather than saving $100 and messing around with having a bunch of people come through.

Glass block was around $1250 with vent windows, less if we did solid glass block.

Rich Riddle
11-27-2013, 8:35 PM
My neighbor has Champion windows and doors. We overlook Cincinnati. Champion replaced the front door and a few windows when they totally renovated their house this summer. No cost and no arguments. They stand behind their products for certain. The neighbors report being satisfied with the quality of the products.

Matt Meiser
11-29-2013, 11:37 PM
We got another 2 quotes today and Champion was the highest by far. A glass block specialty company came in a little less on glass block but with a lot better install method. They could do windows too, but some small window company I've never heard of. His window price felt too cheap--1/2 of Champion. A local door/window place that has been around for 39 years quoted Sunrise which my parents have had in their house for about 8 years (installed by a defunct contractor) so we know that's a good product. They were right in the middle price-wise and we're going to go with them.

All is not lost for the glass block guy. I sent him over to my parents and they are getting 2 windows done that were supposed to have been blocked up over a year ago when we installed their generator.

Jerome Stanek
11-30-2013, 5:57 AM
That was what we found that Champion was almost twice the price as other companies even after they dropped it

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2013, 11:29 AM
You may want to check on Quaker Windows. They are based near St. Louis, MO and I put in 15 of their windows and LOVE them!!! Their price was over $1,000 cheaper than Lowes and the quality of window is far better than what Lowes or Home Depot sell.