PDA

View Full Version : Rulers

John A langley
11-26-2013, 1:10 PM
Tom's thread on is this a useful tool prompted me to ask does anyone use a folding ruler anymore I use a folding ruler and a tape all the time.

john davey
11-26-2013, 2:29 PM
yup, love mine at the bench. Tape goes to the lumber yard/borg

David Hawkins
11-26-2013, 5:51 PM
Oh Ya! Very handy for storyboard layout. It's easier to check point to point, tape is a pain for that.

Mike Cozad
11-26-2013, 6:01 PM
I use rulers much more often than a tape. I have a folding ruler I use as story stick as was mentioned above. It also is my go to when working on my renovation projects in my house. When in the shop I have a set of 4 stainless steel rulers 6", 12", 24" and a 40" for all of my project layout. I have taken the time to match all of my rulers to one another as well as a tape I use for all the "big" measurements. That way no matter which one I use the measurments will not vary. This took a minute or two to find them all to match but worth it.

Keith Outten
11-27-2013, 7:58 AM
I use to tell my Dad to put his folding rule back in his pocket when we were working in the shop :) He was an old pipe fitter who couldn't function without his folding rule.

I use a tape most of the time for general measurements and switch to a scale when working to tighter tolerances. There is only one exception.....I have a folding scale that I modified to use installing door signs. I drilled two small holes in the scale that correspond to the keyholes in my door signs so I can place the scale against the wall and mark the hole locations real quick with an awl. The folding scale folds up fast so I can set it on my cart and fits in my install tool bag.

BTW you measure with a scale, rulers are monarchs :)

Matt Meiser
11-27-2013, 8:51 AM
I've had good luck with the Fastcap tapes and accuracy. I've got a complete set of the Woodpecker rules and really like those where I need more precision or a center measurement, or my favorite for small measurements--my 4" double square.

Bill Huber
11-27-2013, 9:20 AM
What is a folding ruler.....:rolleyes:

I just have not had very good luck using a wooden folding ruler.

I use a Komelon 12', I got at Lowes, it is the type that you pull out and it stays without doing anything and then you have to push the button to get it to go back.

If I use the same tape for everything I see no problem with the accuracy of it. I have checked it with all the other scales and rulers in the shop and it checks with them. I also checked it with the Wixey DRO on the table saw and it was spot on with it which made me feel really good.

I did have a Stanly 25' and when I checked it was off a lot with my other rulers and scales so it got put in the trash.

I also use 2 Woodpecker story sticks on most projects, it is just easy to not have to measure.

phil harold
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
folding rules a great for inside measurements!!!
I still use mine

Tom Walz
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I have several but I don't use them much. My grandpa taught me woodworking and he used them so I do.

As a kid I thought they were really neat. I still do.

Von Bickley
11-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I use both. A tape measure for framing and rough cut. A folding wood ruler for cabinet and shop work.

john davey
11-27-2013, 1:24 PM
+1 on this. I wish I listened to him more back then :(...

I have several but I don't use them much. My grandpa taught me woodworking and he used them so I do.

As a kid I thought they were really neat. I still do.

Mark Draper
11-27-2013, 7:17 PM
I use a tape mostly, when I do need a ruler I pull the blade out of my starrett square.

Gary Herrmann
11-27-2013, 8:32 PM
Have a couple folding rules that I use.

Mike Henderson
11-28-2013, 12:32 AM
folding rules a great for inside measurements!!!
I still use mine

That's about the only thing I use mine for.

Mike

lowell holmes
11-28-2013, 5:29 AM
I have a Stanley 68 folding rule that I use frequently. I also have three LV stainless steel rulers I use.

If you take six foot carpenters folding ruler and cut it into, you have two folding yardsticks. I have one of those laying around somewhere.

Frank Drew
11-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I brought my 6' Lufkin to work one day (non-woodworking job) and people looked at it like it was something from colonial days, they'd just never seen one.

glenn bradley
11-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't use a folding rule but do use rules more than tapes. Years ago I put a little effort into getting together a set of rules; a few 6", a 12", 18" 24" and a 40". These and a couple of 12' right-to-left Lee Valley tapes take care of nearly all my needs. I do use bar gauges for inside measurements when I get in that situation and of course have a selection of squares. In a one man shop I can keep these items nearby to whatever I am doing; I just can't get that far away :).

Henry Kramer
12-01-2013, 10:44 PM
As a 40 year Bricklayer/Stonemason I am used to using 6' Rules unless I am laying out a building then a 50' or 100' tape. As an amateur/hobbiest woodworker for almost as long, I use both in the workshop. I must add (right or wrong) that whatever I use, be it 6' rule, tape, squares or stainless metal rules I will only use and trust US made measuring devices.

Jeff Erbele
12-02-2013, 4:52 AM
Exactly what do you mean by "matching"?

Dave Richards
12-02-2013, 5:53 AM
Jeff, are you referring to Mike Cozad's statement?

I have taken the time to match all of my rulers to one another as well as a tape I use for all the "big" measurements.

It isn't unusual for them to disagree. If you compare a long ruler with a tape measure for example, you are likely to see some error. The longer the ruler and tape, the easier it is to see. Having matched measuring tools in the shop makes it less likely you'll have errors due to the measuring tool you used. Ideally you would use the same tool for all measurements but that isn't always practical.

Robert Delhommer Sr
12-02-2013, 8:09 AM
I like a folding ruler for inside measurements.

Cary Falk
12-02-2013, 8:48 AM
Exactly what do you mean by "matching"?
Matching tape measures is pretty easy. The tang is usually the issue. The tang moves and can be bent when you drop the tape. This is why I was always taught to "kill an inch" when using a tape. If SS rulers don't match I can't imagine there being much you can do but get another one.

Rich Engelhardt
12-02-2013, 9:50 AM
I haven't seen my folding rule in ages.
My fat brother in law got it for me years ago from the gas company he was working for at the time.