PDA

View Full Version : FWW DVD Archive worthwhile?

Mike Berrevoets
11-26-2013, 7:33 AM
Just wondering if anyone has a recent version of the FWW DVD archive and whether it is worthwhile? (I just got an email that has a code for 25% off today only)

my specific questions:
1) is it really searchable? It says it is but depending on how it is setup it might be a frustrating exercise to search.
2) are the plans in a PDF format like they are with a subscription?
3) general overall experience using the product?

its $100 so not something I want to buy if it isn't useable. It would be nice to clear out the old paper magazines and I know my wife would appreciate getting rid of those. I let my subscription lapse a few years ago when it seemed like there were lots of repeats and nothing new for me as my skills got better. I'll buy the magazine once in a while when there is a project I like.

thanks,

mike

Andrew Kertesz
11-26-2013, 8:05 AM
The biggest advantage I found was getting rid of the paper copies. It is searchable but to be honest with such a lack of time I can't remember the last time I used it.

Mark Engel
11-26-2013, 8:09 AM
LOML bought the dvd for me a while back. I find it very useful.

1) It is easily searchable, by keyword, title abstract(?) full text... Lots of search options.
2) You can pull up any article, plane, etc. from the archive and view it as a pdf. There is a pdf button that makes this easy. I have Adobe Acrobat, so I can then save just that article or page as a pdf on my hard drive.
3) As I said, I find it very useful and easy to use.

One thing that I like about this dvd is it can be completely loaded and run from your hard drive so you don't have to keep the disc in the dvd drive.

Thomas Wilson
11-26-2013, 8:20 AM
LOML bought the dvd for me a while back. I find it very useful.

1) It is easily searchable, by keyword, title abstract(?) full text... Lots of search options.
2) You can pull up any article, plane, etc. from the archive and view it as a pdf. There is a pdf button that makes this easy. I have Adobe Acrobat, so I can then save just that article or page as a pdf on my hard drive.
3) As I said, I find it very useful and easy to use.

One thing that I like about this dvd is it can be completely loaded and run from your hard drive so you don't have to keep the disc in the dvd drive.
I bought the archive also. I second Mark's assessment. One thing I have noticed is that scrolling with a mouse or trackpad on a Mac doesn't work too well.

Thomas

Mike Henderson
11-26-2013, 11:13 AM
I had a complete set of the paper copies and reviewed each one of them. But the storage space got to be a problem so I bought the DVD. I find I don't use it very often now - can't remember when I last accessed it. But I also have the FWW digital subscription so I search on the web when I'm looking for something.

Mike

Mike Berrevoets
11-26-2013, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. Sounds like it should work pretty well so I just ordered it while the discount code was still good.

mike

Steve Peterson
11-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I think you will like it. I have 2 or 3 different DVD archives and FWW is the one I enjoy the most.

Steve

Loren Woirhaye
11-27-2013, 12:26 PM
I have an older one on CD. You can get the ones that are a few years out of current steeply discounted on ebay. The value you find will probably depend on how you think about woodworking, whether you're still trying new sorts of technical craftsmanship things, and how well you can recall the woodworking information you've read over the years. There's tremendous value in FWW content in my experience, but to get much out of it you have to be willing to push yourself. Best magazine out there for learning professional techniques for fine furniture making, imo.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2013, 1:06 PM
I bought one 2 years ago and use it regularly. I agree with Mark's assessment.