PDA

View Full Version : don derry hollowing tool

byron constantine
11-25-2013, 5:58 PM
What dept will this tool go and it mainly for mini lathes. I have a 1642 jet. I have a chance to purchase one used but i don't
know if it is big enough to go 10" byron

Scott Hackler
11-25-2013, 6:57 PM
No it is not designed to go that deep. Don's system is a small captured rig. The boring bar will not extend past the capture piece that far. From what I seen, it would comfortably do 6-7". It is a nice design and his laser adjustment is one of the best for fine tuning. I looked at it for smaller HF's but unfortunately the square boring bar is too large for my usual 1/2-5/8" openings.

To get to 10" deep your going to have to either look at a captured rig or spend more money than your stated $400, on an articulated rig. I recently bought the Gizmo articulated hollower and it is awesome, but closer to $750 with bars. The monster is a little lighter/smaller, but a very good rig an closer to $500.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-26-2013, 10:33 AM
I have a Don Derry rig, and Scott is right, it is great for 7" or so. I believe that he does sell a heavier duty version, you may have to give him a call. I've gone deeper than 7" with it, but the Monster is better for that range of hollowing. Don's laser is amazingly steady. The best thing about Don's rig is it is fast to set up. I put a collar on the tool rest post, and it is at the exact height every time. The Monster takes a little while to set up properly. Either rig allows me to hollow all day without getting tired. I have a 1642 also. Good luck in your search. All the rigs out there work well, and they all have their little quirks.
I think the Monster is the best bang for the buck.