PDA

View Full Version : Delta lathe parts - are they now available easily?

Dave Kartzman
11-25-2013, 5:20 PM
Good afternoon. My nephew wants to learn woodturning and get lessons. His parents have asked me what lathe I would recommend. I have a delta 46-460 and love it, other than the big problem we had last winter in getting parts. Before recommending a lathe for them to get him started with, I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether Delta has gotten their act together with respect to parts availability. if they haven't, then I would probably have them look at a Jet. Thanks in advance....Dave

Brian Kent
11-25-2013, 5:44 PM
Delta has not gotten their act together, as of this summer. It took persistent e-mails and calls from me and the service center. I finally got the part after registering a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and writing a personal letter to the president of the company. The guy at the service center was amazed that I had received the part.

Except for that, I love the lathe.:(

Bob Bergstrom
11-25-2013, 7:40 PM
Take a good look at tha Jet 12-20. On sale all over right now for less than the Delta?

John Teichert
11-25-2013, 9:21 PM
My 46-460 switch "hung" and tripped my GFCI circuit. I took a look at getting parts, but they were out of stock. Connecting to a older circuit without GFCI allowed it to "reset". I still wince at times switching it off and on. Other than that, I really like the lathe, but that is a big Other.

JT

Tom Matthews
11-26-2013, 8:07 AM
I just bought a Turncrafter Commander from Penn State Industries. It looks pretty similar to the suggested Jet, the only real difference is the headstock mounts slightly to the right with a guard over the pullys where you can swap between speed ranges. The whole guard pops off and swapping ranges is extremely easy. It also has a big digital readout with the current speed.

I paid a little over $400 for it as it was on sale and they had a 10% off coupon last week. 4 year warranty and if the website reviews are to be trusted, it sounds like support is pretty good and parts are available.

I have done very little turning with it (first project still between centers due to a lack of time) but so far so good.

My local Woodcraft is also advertising a Rikon 1216VS for $200 on Black Friday. Not sure if that's a national special or not (it's not in the flier I received).

Rich Harkrader
11-26-2013, 8:23 AM
I have a Turncrafter Commander also. I'm on my second headstock for it. The shoulder on the threads was horribly out of true on the first one and badly out on this one. Visible wobble with a chuck mounted to it. You might want to check your lathe with a chuck, Tom. I wouldn't recommend them unless there are no other options.

Dave Kartzman
11-26-2013, 3:21 PM
Thanks for the replies... I think I will be steering my nephew toward the Jet, if that works with his parents... I appreciate the assistance.

Dave

Bob Bergstrom
11-26-2013, 7:00 PM
Thanks for the replies... I think I will be steering my nephew toward the Jet, if that works with his parents... I appreciate the assistance.

Dave
Careful, you might be very envious of what he is turning on I can see you dropping just to give him some pointers, and not remembering to go back to your Delta:rolleyes:

Donny Lawson
11-28-2013, 9:46 AM
I have the Delta 46-460 and love it. I have had no problems with it to date. With the stories I have heard I would reccommend the Jet line. I think you would be better off in the long run.