PDA

View Full Version : Drawes for under bench

Craig Richmond
11-25-2013, 2:09 PM
Hi, I want to build two different boxes of drawers, one with two drawers and one with one drawer under my bench. Since I have not done this before I thought I would ask you guys. Do I build the box for the drawers first and then the drawers to fit or the other way around? I was thinking about making the box and the drawer boxes out of 1/2 ply and then use a hard wood for the face. I was also going to use the Kreg system of hole drilling and screws and glue all fitted parts as well. I was also going to go with metal slides. Here is a small drawing of what I had in mind.

David Hawxhurst
11-25-2013, 2:35 PM
i would build the boxes and then build the drawers to fit.

Kent A Bathurst
11-25-2013, 4:05 PM
Absolutely box first. Then, you will know the final dimensions for the glides & drawers to fit into.

glenn bradley
11-25-2013, 5:10 PM
I too always build drawers to fit the space.

Craig Richmond
11-25-2013, 8:15 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

Craig Richmond
11-26-2013, 8:10 AM
On the bench I have, there are two supports that run between the legs. Attaching to them will give me plenty of clearance. Thank you though.

Dave Richards
11-26-2013, 8:21 AM
That wasn't the point. The point is that maybe you don't need to put the drawers in a box.

Craig Richmond
11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
If the drawers were going to sit just under the apron then that might work for me but since they will be a few inched below it, I feel that will be cleaning debris out of them all the time. All though, I could make the face plate higher and that would make a big diff. on the amount of stuff that falls in.