PDA

View Full Version : Are Andy's tools a good deal?

Tom Walz
11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
http://www.ezwoodshop.com/easy-pinch-stick.html

James White
11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi Tom,

My gut reaction is yes! However, after watching the video. I am left guessing as to how it actually works. I suppose that there is some sort twist locking mechanism. But that is pure speculation on my part. I think he should show the device in use. Just my $.02.

Regards,
James

James

John Coloccia
11-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Good heavens...I just use a piece of string. Anyhow, the tool is cheap enough at least, and it seems to get'r done, so why not? It just seems like one of those solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist, but that doesn't mean it's not useful and convenient :)

I think it works just with the friction in the telescoping sections

Mark Engel
11-25-2013, 1:08 PM
Hi Tom,

My gut reaction is yes! However, after watching the video. I am left guessing as to how it actually works. I suppose that there is some sort twist locking mechanism. But that is pure speculation on my part. I think he should show the device in use. Just my $.02.

Regards,
James

James

There is a video that shows it in use and explains how it stays at the desired setting.

Pretty cool tool. I'll put it on my Christmas list and see what happens. :-)

Ellen Benkin
11-25-2013, 2:09 PM
Maybe I'm not anal enough but I just use two pieces of scrap wood for checking the diagonals.

Tobias Lochner
11-25-2013, 3:15 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Ellen. I have two pieces of scrap boxwood with tapered ends. They have been doing the job for years.

Brian Tymchak
11-25-2013, 3:30 PM
I think I prefer to measure the diagonals, cause then I know exactly how much adjustment I need to make. If I'm off a 1/4", then I know I need to pull up 1/8" on the long diagonal and I'm done.

Wade Lippman
11-25-2013, 3:57 PM
I think I prefer to measure the diagonals, cause then I know exactly how much adjustment I need to make. If I'm off a 1/4", then I know I need to pull up 1/8" on the long diagonal and I'm done.
Didn't you see in the video that showed that you couldn't measure the diagonals. It didn't explain why, but I am sure there is a good reason.

Tobias Lochner
11-26-2013, 1:55 AM
Hi Wade. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that I can think of for not using bits of scrap wood for this. The physics of the contraption remain exactly the same whether one uses two pieces of wood with ends bevelled to more than 45 degrees, two telescoping automobile antennas, or this new whizbang contraption. Cabinet makers have been using diagonal measuring sticks as a means of squaring cabinets for hundreds of years, the principle remains exactly the same. Some years ago LV started producing a great set of "Bar Gauge" heads. I know I sound anal and on my hobby horse, but we are pounded with a dearth of clever devices that are supposed to make our woodworking easier and better. Push sticks, feather boards, the list is endless........We are woodworkers, why spend hard earned money on devices that we can knock up for nothing out of the scrap box? Personally, I would rather save my money to buy a good tool that I cannot make, than spend it on things I can easily make.
Nothing personal, just my 2c worth.

Best regards
Tobias

Brian Tymchak
11-26-2013, 7:43 AM
Didn't you see in the video that showed that you couldn't measure the diagonals. It didn't explain why, but I am sure there is a good reason.

Unless I missed something, the video just said that measuring diagonals was awkward because of hooking the tape end on the corners. Seemed to be the only reason offered.

However, having thought about it a few more seconds, I guess there might be a few scenarios when I can't hook the tape to the outside corners.

Doug Richardson
11-26-2013, 8:40 AM
I thinkin' that this is the "ideal" Christmas present for the woodworker that has everything..... And I mean everything..... And the room to store everything also..... ;-)

James White
11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I think some of you are being overly critical. I use two sticks as well. But, they are about 18" long and take up that much space plus the locking block that is about 3"x3" in my tool box. These would hardly take up any space. I would not mind owning this provided the "high friction" was enough to resist an errant bump. I don't think I would have looked for something like this. But if it showed up under the Christmas tree. I would certainly be happy as a pig......

Wade Lippman
11-26-2013, 1:23 PM
Hi Wade. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that I can think of for not using bits of scrap wood for this. The physics of the contraption remain exactly the same whether one uses two pieces of wood with ends bevelled to more than 45 degrees, two telescoping automobile antennas, or this new whizbang contraption. Cabinet makers have been using diagonal measuring sticks as a means of squaring cabinets for hundreds of years, the principle remains exactly the same. Some years ago LV started producing a great set of "Bar Gauge" heads. I know I sound anal and on my hobby horse, but we are pounded with a dearth of clever devices that are supposed to make our woodworking easier and better. Push sticks, feather boards, the list is endless........We are woodworkers, why spend hard earned money on devices that we can knock up for nothing out of the scrap box? Personally, I would rather save my money to buy a good tool that I cannot make, than spend it on things I can easily make.
Nothing personal, just my 2c worth.

Best regards
Tobias
I was joking. I use a tape measure and never have a problem.

Tobias Lochner
11-26-2013, 1:42 PM
Sure be nice to have a new toy or three under the tree. Two car radio antennas screwed together juhttp://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/05n3101s4.jpgst doesn't feel right? Or maybe to some it does. Personally, the bar gauge kits from LV are superb. And they beat car antennas hands down because you can lock them. Very NB. Thus you can use them as story sticks as well. http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/05n3101s1.jpgA typically well though out, excellently made LV product.

Tobias Lochner
11-26-2013, 1:44 PM
Thanks Wade.

Lloyd McKinlay
11-26-2013, 4:32 PM
Another vote for the LV bar gauge kit.

Peter Quinn
11-26-2013, 6:30 PM
I wouldn't say that the tools are bad or that they don't work, I've never used them, they look to be well made for the purpose. But as a wood worker it strikes me as another $35 solution to a $.29 problem. I've always used traditional pinch sticks, a simple shop made arrangement. The lee valley kit looks great, my trammel points work pretty well for the propose, I don't remember ever checking diagonals from the center of a carcus anyway? And in most cases the hooked ruler is close enough, assuming you can hook on something and that clamps aren't in your way.

paul cottingham
11-26-2013, 6:36 PM
I have 2 sets of the LV pinch rods. They are great, and easier -for me- to use than two sticks and pieces of tape. I plan to make more. They are also great as story sticks in a pinch.

Curt Harms
11-27-2013, 7:50 AM
If you can measure to the outsides, this rockler solution works pretty well, it keeps the tape hooked to the doodad with a magnet. For inside measurements, yeah the Lee Valley things.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-measuring-kit

david brum
11-27-2013, 8:42 AM
Here is my high tech tool for joining two sticks for measuring inside diagonals. When I think of it, I keep a few pieces of off cut wood of the right size and just cut it to the right length as needed.

BTW, these little inside story sticks can't be beat for when really precise measurements are required, like an opening for a drawer.

Rick Lizek
11-27-2013, 6:18 PM
Ripped off. Just use a tape measure and measure from the outside and you will know how much to tweak it. 1/4" and you slpit the difference 1/8". Using less tools is making you a better woodworker! Anyone who says you need more is an amateur and has no clue! Over 40years in commercial shops less is more...

Larry Edgerton
11-28-2013, 5:29 AM
I rip two thin pointed maple strips, cut them to the inside dimension of the largest drawer first plus 1/6. I drop them in the drawer after it is clamped, they are slightly bowed, and when they just touch each other the drawer is square. Then I cut them to the next smaller diagonal and so on and when done I throw them away. Never have to remember where they are.

Larry

Ron Kellison
11-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I use this...http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=56766&cat=1,42936

Rick Lizek
11-28-2013, 5:38 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56766&cat=1,42936
At $4.95 this is a better tool...