PDA

View Full Version : Finished up my steady rest

Sparky Paessler
11-25-2013, 9:42 AM
Well I finally finished up making my steady rest. I based mine on one of the angle iron rings from McMaster Carr. It is made to have four wheels or can have just three.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Nice work Sparky! Looks like it will definitely do the job! Have fun!!

Michael Poorman
11-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Sparky,

That looks great! Well done.

Steve Doerr
11-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Sparky, great looking steady. I made one just like it about a year ago and have used it extensively. I primarily use just the 3 wheels because of the laser on my Monster Hollowing system. I think you will be very pleased with this steady.
Keep on Turnin'
Steve

Mike Goetzke
11-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Nice steady but I like the dog too!

Jim Underwood
11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Looks Great! Looks like you're getting good use of it.

We really owe James Combes for making that plan available!

Steve Doerr
11-25-2013, 2:44 PM
Jim, I like you signature grouping especially the one that says "Half-a-brain." For if it was for people like James Combes that are willing to share their wisdom and expertise, the "half-a-brain" that I do have would not be getting much work done at all:)
Keep on Turnin'
Steve

Roger Chandler
11-25-2013, 4:10 PM
That looks pretty good there, Sparky! Nice work, and it reminds me a lot of my Jeff Nichols version........if yours performs nearly as well as his has, then you have a real winner on your hands!

James Combs
11-25-2013, 6:48 PM
That looks pretty good there, Sparky! Nice work, and it reminds me a lot of my Jeff Nichols version........if yours performs nearly as well as his has, then you have a real winner on your hands!
Thanks guys for the credit. And BTW Roger, the reason it resembles a Jeff Nichols rest is because his was the inspiration for mine and the associated plans so we need to thank Jeff as well.

JD Combs (without the "e" please);):D

Joe Mioux
11-25-2013, 7:18 PM
looks great

Sparky Paessler
11-25-2013, 9:12 PM
Thanks all and James and Jeff especially! A lot of it was based on one I made for a smaller lathe a long time ago. The idea of using the angle iron ring did come from several I saw saw here. Guess they were James and Jeff's! Thanks guys! It does seem to work very well. Now I need to get busy turning all those vessels that I needed it for.

John Teichert
11-25-2013, 9:16 PM
I just hate people who know how to weld. This a wood turning forum, wood, wood, wood.

Sigh, better now. Most excellent job.

JT

Jim Underwood
11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
John, don't fret! I don't have a welder either, but I gave my mechanic a very nice turned box for his troubles. You might work out a similar deal with someone you know.

James COMBS, sorry about the typo. I was posting in a hurry and didn't check the spellling.

And a big thanks to Jeff Nichols for giving James the idea in the first place.

Thom Sturgill
11-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Sparky, I have one of Jeff's too, and if yours is half as good, and frankly the welding looks better, then you have a real winner there. My only complaint on mine is the weight as I get older. Hmmm, I have this overhead winch I've never really used.....

cal thelen
11-26-2013, 1:55 PM
that looks great. now if i could only find the tutorial that james did i would build myself one. have looked and searched but cannot find it. can anyone help me out.

Thom Sturgill
11-26-2013, 2:25 PM
that looks great. now if i could only find the tutorial that james did i would build myself one. have looked and searched but cannot find it. can anyone help me out.

try this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151454-Gloat-My-Jeff-Nicol-Style-Steady-Rest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151454-Gloat-My-Jeff-Nicol-Style-Steady-Rest)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2013, 2:33 PM
Nicely done Sparky!

cal thelen
11-27-2013, 1:37 PM
thanks Thom but still not the turtorial or the process as he described it.

Mike Cross
11-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Try here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151550-Steady-Rest-Fabrication/page2

Mike