PDA

View Full Version : Invited to Scott Phillips American Woodshop - Help Please

Charlie Kocourek
11-24-2013, 6:50 PM
I have the great honor to have been invited to be on an episode of Scott Phillips' American Woodshop which will air on PBS sometime in 2014.

His neighbor bought a set Adjustable Height Workbench Plans for the Jack-Bench through my website. His neighbor showed the completed bench to Scott and he loved it! Now Scott is going to feature that bench on his show. Scott sent me an email saying how much he liked my bench design and invited me to join them on that episode of the American Woodshop! How cool is that? Needless to say, I am very excited about this!

I don't want to accept this wonderful invitation and then show up empty handed. I would like to bring some kind of gift for Scott and maybe his wife, Suzy.

This is where I could use some help! I am looking for ideas. The American Woodshop has been around for many, many years and I can only assume that Scott has just about every tool that he would ever want.

Please let me know what you think would be a good and appropriate offering.

Thanks!
Charlie

Dan Hintz
11-24-2013, 7:10 PM
Something you made would be a very nice gesture, I would think... an inlaid box if you do flatwork, and embellished hollowform if you do turning, etc.

Jim Matthews
11-25-2013, 6:59 AM
If he and his crew are up for it, your best local barbecue will be welcome.

Everybody eats, not everybody can get your local offerings.
You could even have a "test kitchen" where the local smokers compete for the honor...

phil harold
11-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Every woodworker needs a board stretcher!

Raymond Fries
11-25-2013, 4:26 PM
Congratulations - that should be exciting. Many of his episodes center around home improvements. I would make something they could enjoy in their home. Dan had a great idea. Or, maybe a mirror with a nice hand made frame. Suzy likes Fleur-de-lis so those are in their home. - maybe you could find something to incorproate that design into.

Good Luck and it will be fun to see a creeker on the show.

Charlie Kocourek
11-25-2013, 7:06 PM
Those are all great ideas! I was thinking of local offerings, and I love BBQ. Right now I am leaning towards making something. I would like to do more marquetry, so maybe a marquetry piece that incorporates the fleur de lis.

Thanks for the ideas!

If only I knew where to get a board stretcher...

Charlie

Greg Portland
11-26-2013, 2:33 PM
This is where I could use some help! I am looking for ideas. The American Woodshop has been around for many, many years and I can only assume that Scott has just about every tool that he would ever want.
+1 for BBQ or a local specialty (find out if he's vegetarian 1st :) ). I'd have to think that Scott has piles of WWing gifts (tools, projects, etc.) and no place to put them all. Something that would be consumed and enjoyed is IMO the best option.