PDA

View Full Version : Jobsite tool tote ideas?

Phil Thien
11-24-2013, 4:28 PM
When helping others with projects on their homes, I often find myself grabbing power tools and just tossing them into the back of the van.

I'd like a better way to carry a few power tools (like a drill, reciprocating saw, whatever) and the other stuff I need (chisels, screw drivers, etc.).

Something that could double as something to sit/step on would be nice maybe. I might put wheels on the bottom for times when I'm working around the perimeter of a room (just to be able to push it around).

What do you guys use? Has anyone made anything from plans or your own design which works well?

At this point I'm thinking of making a crate with wheels on the bottom, a removable lid, some handles on the sides, and some way of adding dividers.

Greg Hines, MD
11-24-2013, 4:50 PM
I use a bucket or two, with those bucket skirts for pockets inside and out. Tons of places have them.

Doc

Richard Wolf
11-24-2013, 4:56 PM
I use one of these that works well and is light enough to not be ridiculous when full of tools.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Stanley-24-Gal-Mobile-Chest-029025R/203710098#.UpJ2l8RQFJw

BobW Robinson
11-24-2013, 5:37 PM
If you can get your hands on a copy of Jim Tolpin's The Toolbox Book is has a number of good ideas in it.

Bruce Wrenn
11-24-2013, 9:59 PM
Richard, update your location now that you live in the WARM (not) south.

Jim Matthews
11-25-2013, 7:03 AM
I use an older version of the Stanley 033023R.
It's water resistant, and rock steady as a step stool.

The only quibble I have is that the handle can't be completely stowed - it sticks out some.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-033023R-Mobile-Tool-Chest/sim/B000Q5KXY2/2

john bateman
11-25-2013, 8:05 AM
I think something like a wheeled suitcase would be useful, though you probably couldn't stand or sit on it. 275723

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2013, 8:21 AM
I've got B&D, Stanley, Craftsman and a few other wheeled tool carts - but - my "Go to" ones are 14 gallon plastic tubs I get from Walmart for about $4 or $5 each.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-14.5-Gallon-58-Quart-Storage-Box-Sliver-Tint-Set-of-8/24673338

They come I different colors so I can color code them - blue for plumbing & plumbing related, yellow for electrical, gray for general purpose (hammers fasteners, drills, saws, blades, etc).
I can stack them three high to fit on a two wheeler.

A big plus for them also is that I can empty one out and use it for mixing drywall mud, thinset, mortar, etc or for pouring paint into when I'm using an airless.

Joe Scharle
11-25-2013, 8:45 AM
I have one of those Stanley 'workboxes', that have jaws on top like their workmates.

Phil Thien
11-25-2013, 9:30 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, you guys have given me a lot to think about. Some of the Stanley stuff that is plastic and strong and light-weight may be a better way to go than building something.

Matt Meiser
11-25-2013, 9:44 AM
I've got a couple tool bags one big (heavy) and one smaller. I also make heavy use of Systainers even for non-green and black tools but that's a different budget point. The nice thing is that I can grab the tools I need, stack them together, and go.

Rick Moyer
11-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Another cheap and easy option is those canvas tote bags like grocery stores, Target, etc. make available. You can't stand on them or realistically put dividers in, but they hold some weight.

Brian W Smith
11-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Canvas totes here.I swipe wifeypoo's monogrammed LLBean's.By the time she misses them,they're too dirty to give them back.Been doing this for 20+ years.And they are the best.....college canvas totes(sold in their bookstores)are a close second.Everthing else just dosen't last in our experience.

Stew Hagerty
11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
A lot of power tools come with those canvas carry bags, and sets of tools usually come with fairly large bags. The best part is that they didn't cost you anything extra to get them. I just keep those and pull one out when I need to travel with tools.

Ellen Benkin
11-25-2013, 12:45 PM
If you just want an open crate with wheels try Staples or some other office supply store. They hold a lot and fold up to almost nothing. They also fit into my small car trunk.

Rick Whitehead
11-25-2013, 7:44 PM
I like Gary Katz's jobsite tool tote-http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawings/tool_tote.html
I've made three of them, and they work well.
Hint: Don't store the spade bits, or the other tools, with the tips pointing up!
Rick W

Stew Hagerty
11-25-2013, 8:40 PM
I like Gary Katz's jobsite tool tote-http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawings/tool_tote.html
I've made three of them, and they work well.
Hint: Don't store the spade bits, or the other tools, with the tips pointing up!
Rick W

Is it just me or does his website take forever to load?

Lee Reep
11-25-2013, 9:21 PM
I've got a couple tool bags one big (heavy) and one smaller. I also make heavy use of Systainers even for non-green and black tools but that's a different budget point. The nice thing is that I can grab the tools I need, stack them together, and go.

I was thinking the same thing as Matt. I just got a Festool track saw and love the Systainer concept. Expensive, yes, but excellent quality. I will be building a cabinet into one wall of my shop which will accomodate Systainers as I add to my collection.

For transporting tools now (I do not do it all that often), I found a deal on Craftsman tool bags at Ace Hardware. They were quite inexpensive (under $10 for a large one that will hold a some pretty large tools like a belt sander or Sawzall). I think I only paid $5 for one of the smaller ones, which I use to hold a drill and accessories.

Rich Engelhardt
11-26-2013, 8:04 AM
Ironic - I was thinking of this thread last night.
We're just winding down getting a rental ready for move in this coming Sunday and it's time to pack up all the extra supplies and tools.
We stopped at WalMart on the way to the rental and picked up the last two cheap 14 gal totes they had.

john davey
11-26-2013, 9:34 AM
+1 on this. My PC pancake kit with 3 guns had a nice heavy duty bag for the guns. the Ryobi drill kit I got a few years ago had a great large strong bag. The drills were ok but the bag was great :)

A lot of power tools come with those canvas carry bags, and sets of tools usually come with fairly large bags. The best part is that they didn't cost you anything extra to get them. I just keep those and pull one out when I need to travel with tools.

Art Mulder
11-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Exactly: I just made myself an insert to fit inside a canvas tool tote recently: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?209390-Tool-Tote-Tray

Sounds like Phil is looking for something bigger though. That Gary Katz tote a few mentioned sounds interesting. I'd pair that up with a dolly or something like that and it sounds like it's more Phil's need.

Stew Hagerty
11-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Exactly: I just made myself an insert to fit inside a canvas tool tote recently: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?209390-Tool-Tote-Tray

Sounds like Phil is looking for something bigger though. That Gary Katz tote a few mentioned sounds interesting. I'd pair that up with a dolly or something like that and it sounds like it's more Phil's need.

What a great idea!!! I'll be back later. I have to go out to my shop!

Mike Wilkins
11-26-2013, 3:08 PM
Home Depot had a great concept in jobsite tool totes several years ago. It incorporated an air compressor with a storage cabinet on top, with pulling handle and wheels. Not sure if it is available anymore, since we no longer have a HD in this area. If your wallet can stand the hit, take a serious look at the new Festool tool carriers, specially made for portability.

Dave Lehnert
11-26-2013, 5:59 PM
I use a set up like this. http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-Rolling-Tool-Organizer/dp/B000G7X06S/ref=pd_sxp_f_i
But the one I have just uses a 5 gal bucket with a cover with all the pockets.

phil harold
11-27-2013, 10:24 AM
I made a couple of these
I got the idea from The woodwright shop many years ago he made a stool out of pine with these 15 degree angles and demonstrated you could stand on the edge with out it flippin over like you would on a square box
So I modified Roy's stool into a tote/bench 32" long 17" tall 14"wide (this makes it so it fits between studs 16" on center)
you can fit plenty of tools, skill saw, hammers, bars hardware, what ever the day's tasks need, put to much in it and it can get heavy
I have 3 of them the original one I made 30 years ago and these that I made about 7 years ago
I use them to stand on to trim, hang cabinets, tape 8' ceilings
I can put plank on two of them for a short scaffold
They also make a great place to work on or take a break

Loren Woirhaye
11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
I use a Veto carpenter's bag, systainers and Bosch L-boxx. None of them are perfect but I save a lot of time by being organized during installations.

phil harold
11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
I use a Veto carpenter's bag, systainers and Bosch L-boxx. None of them are perfect but I save a lot of time by being organized during installations.
never heard of those Veto bags before
they look sweet
which one do you use?

organization does make life easier

Stew Hagerty
11-27-2013, 1:31 PM
I bought one of these for my daughter's boyfriend last year. He runs a stage in NYC, has a band, and enjoys woodworking in his spare time (like he has any).

Since he travels continuously around the City, I figured it would be perfect for him. It's a backpack alright, but it is explicitly designed for tools. Inside are slots, flaps, pockets, etc. Everything the traveling tool guy might want or need. Plus the bottom is very heavy duty so it'll take some abuse. I'm just sorry they don't have any photos of it open.

That's alright, just stop by your local Sears store and have a look, in fact, they have lots of pretty shiny things to look at (in the tool department of course).

He absolutely loves his, and says it is one of the best gifts he has gotten.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-heavy-duty-back-pack/p-00926311000P

275854 (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-heavy-duty-back-pack/p-00926311000P)