PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Hunting

Bobby O'Neal
11-24-2013, 4:08 PM
Anybody know where I could find flat, recessed "picture hanger" type hardware? I'm picturing a traditional keyhole sort of shape in steel or brass that I make a flat bottomed mortise and the hardware insets flush to the surface and the piece hangs flat on the wall.

I saw Whiteside's picture hanger router bit and that would do the trick but I'd like to have hardware against a nail/screw instead of the wood being against it when hung.

Greg Hines, MD
11-24-2013, 4:30 PM
I think you mean this?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001928/1891/Single-Hole.aspx

Bobby O'Neal
11-24-2013, 6:06 PM
I did notice those but was hoping for something deeper. There's something that looks cheap about those and it's likely in my head.

Mike Cutler
11-24-2013, 8:12 PM
I think you have to sort of change your though process. Those little hangers will support a lot of weight in the vertical plane.
I found them at Home Depot. Same thing.
That picture is showing the device somewhat backward. The face shown, faces into the mortise, drawing the screw head tight.

Bobby O'Neal
11-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I think you have to sort of change your though process. Those little hangers will support a lot of weight in the vertical plane.
I found them at Home Depot. Same thing.
That picture is showing the device somewhat backward. The face shown, faces into the mortise, drawing the screw head tight.

I don't have any doubts about its strength or effectiveness but I'd like the looks better without two screws in it. The more I look the better the router bit looks.

Don Jarvie
11-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Take a look at lee valley.

Mark Bolton
11-25-2013, 1:59 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Platte-River-Packages-Picture-Hardware/dp/B008PGZNWQ

Look a little nicer finish than the others.

I think places like frameware.com would have a lot of hanging accessories in different finishes but my guess it will be tough to be too fussy for something that typically goes on the back of a piece that no one sees.

If its real important to you have a local shop or someone with a small mill machine you what you want out of brass.