PDA

View Full Version : A Plane Dilemma

David M Anderson
11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Back into restoring hand planes.
Here is the problem, need a screw for a knob, or need some part to fix one that is missing a part.
Prices can be quite high for a little item which is in high demand, or there is few to be had.
So there is another avenue, buy another plane for parts.
Here is where the problem starts, after receiving the "parts plane", you clean it up, Evapo-Rust, electrolysis, or a bath in
citric acid or which ever is your preference.
Well I got me much needed part all cleaned up, but wait, this plane don't look to bad.
Here is the bad move, maybe I will fix this up a little more, then it turn out great, a good user.
Ok back on-line to find another for that part I needed, cant rob that good ol plane for that part.
And here we go again, trying to save a buck or two. wrong.
Wife says "Just Buy The Part"...so far she said it with a smile. :)

Matthew N. Masail
11-24-2013, 1:03 PM
Things can get funny that way :)

what about ST. JAMES BAY TOOL CO. ? don't they sell part for almost anything?

Jim Koepke
11-24-2013, 1:07 PM
This has happened to me. My situation was wanting a short knob for a #5. There was a #5 on ebay with really bad pictures. My bid was the only one. The plane is my go to #5 today. The one that was going to get the knob changed was sold for about twice what the "parts donor" cost.

Sometimes you will find parts in lots on ebay. Other than that just keep looking for broken planes that may be useful donors.

BTW, even broken planes come in handy. A couple of mine have been cut down and cleaned up. They make great holders for totes and knobs when you want to mount it in a vise for sanding or spray coating.

There are also a few here who have extra parts who are not in the business of making top dollar from their part hoards.

What particular part(s) do you currently need?

Also if it is a Stanley part many are still available through Stanley.

Here is a good starting point:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes.html

This site seems to get changed from time to time. Sometimes it might be better to call in, but I do not have the number or the contact person's name. Johnny Kleso mentioned it at one time.

jtk

steven c newman
11-24-2013, 1:28 PM
Contact nhplaneparts.com

seems eric has quite a few, might check to see which bolts he has on hand...

David M Anderson
11-24-2013, 1:55 PM
Thanks for the links and advice.
Have found the screw I needed for the original plane, took the wife's advice and bought the part.
But now I have three so called "parts" planes in various stages of restore..:)
Better half say's now I am obsessed with them..lol

Tom Bussey
11-24-2013, 2:01 PM
As some of you know I sell restored planes. And yes I have come up with about every problem mentioned. The problem is there are several styles of both high and low knobs so just buying the correct stud for either the tote or knob can be a challenge. One has to really look a plane over before buying. The first thing I look for on a plane is does it have a frog adjusting screw. If it does it means it has machined seats. Early Stanleys, before type 10 I believe, didn't have adjusting screws, but it is a first look as to the quality. Next is a look at the wood. Broken wood won't stop a buy because I make my own knobs and totes., but the price I am willing to pay drops acordingly. Next the lever cap comes off and I look at the back of the blade for usable life. It is hard to tell if someone hase ground the top of the blade trying to shortcut the sharpenng process without taking it apart with a screwdriver and one never has one when it is needed most, but it is expencive if you have to replace a blade.

These are a few tips I hope will help someone when rust hunting and be prepared for some disapointments along the way.

Tom

Mark Wyatt
11-25-2013, 8:28 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. Plane parts? Never heard of them. Now, if I could clear these paperweights off my table saw, perhaps I could use it.

Hilton Ralphs
11-26-2013, 5:35 AM
Contact nhplaneparts.com

seems eric has quite a few, might check to see which bolts he has on hand...

He now has a Fleabay store.

David M Anderson
11-26-2013, 5:50 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about. Plane parts? Never heard of them. Now, if I could clear these paperweights off my table saw, perhaps I could use it.
Some very nice paperweights..:)