PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Rock, PA

Andrew Fleck
11-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I will be relocating to Slippery Rock, PA next summer to teach at the university there. I will be looking for a decent hardwood supplier once I am there. Does anybody have any recommendations? Slippery Rock is fairly close to Pittsburgh so there should be more than a couple suppliers nearby. If all goes according to plan we should end up living somewhere in between Pittsburgh and Slippery Rock.

I buy all of my lumber rough cut and use about 100-200bf a month. It's not a ton, but I have a good deal going here in Missouri with a supplier that normally only sells to cabinet shops and the like. I had to talk my way into this one. Hopefully I can find something similar up there.

Lee Schierer
11-24-2013, 4:35 PM
There are a lot of saw mills in western PA. Once you get there you should be able to find several sources. I know there are good place up toward Meadville/Erie in Amish country. A google search revealed these. Sawmills (http://www.yellowpages.com/slippery-rock-pa/sawmills)

Stephen Cherry
11-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Andrew, Lee got it right. You may need to drive a little, but PA has no shortage of trees. The first thing to do though is to find if there is a local Amish market, and go to the bakery and get a pumpkin roll. You might not understand it right now, but when you bite into that roll you will definitely understand.

Andrew Fleck
11-25-2013, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the replies and the link. It sounds like a decent sawmill shouldn't be an issue. I'll be sure to try that roll. Thanks.