PDA

View Full Version : How long before they're dead??

Joe Tonich
05-17-2003, 7:49 AM
I sprayed some weeds w/Roundup Wednesday (the concentrated stuff you mix with water, not the pre-mixed stuff) and they are wilted and yellow now. Do I have to wait till they are brown or can I rototill them under now? SWMBO is picking up a lot of flowers today and wants to plant them this weekend.

Thanks,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-17-2003, 8:09 AM
Joe, you should be OK to till the weeds under now. If they are wilted and yellowing, the Round up has entered the system of the Plant, and is doing the job. If any of the weeds had grown large enough to go to seed, you may have some resprouting of those seeds later, but the existing weeds you sprayed will not be a problem. Till 'em under, and let Momma plant! ;)

Joe Tonich
05-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks Kevin,
I thanked you earlier but it didn't go thru for some reason.:( I just got done rototilling & figure I'll do it once more after it dries up a little. SWMBO's happy as we're trying to get everything done BEFORE the long weekend.

Joe

Jim Becker
05-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Joe Tonich
Do I have to wait till they are brown or can I rototill them under now?

Just remember that when you till under the current ex-weeds, you're bringing up new weed seed on top to germinate. Put down a layer of newspapers before you mulch to help keep "new" weeds to a minimum. We've been doing that on our property for two years now and the results are noticable. It will not eliminate all the weeds, but it will significantly cut down on them.

Jason Roehl
05-17-2003, 10:43 AM
If you can swing the bucks, go for the landscape fabric, the heavier the better. We put some down under our kids' playset, with pea gravel, and the only place where weeds have ever come up is where the fabric got moved for one reason or another. Luckily, a buddy of mine who works for the City of Lafayette was able to get some free scraps of the best fabric due to major landscaping involved with Railroad Relocation. It's thick, heavy stuff that should last a real long time.

Joe Tonich
05-17-2003, 6:36 PM
Thanks, while we were doing the planting a guy down the street stopped by and gave me a roll of the heavy landscapers stuff to lay down under the mulch. He had an extra roll and wouldn't tale anything for it! I think it goes for around $75-$80 a roll. I'll make a bandsawn box or something for him. It's nice to know there are still nice people out there (he's not even a woodworker!) that will go out of their way to help out a stranger if they can.:) I put PREEN under it before I laid it and the mulch. Hope it works, I HATE weeding!!!

Thanks for all the advice,

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-17-2003, 6:51 PM
Great idea to go with the Weed Block Fabric under the mulch, and with the addition of Preen Pre-emergent Herbicide, that should be one weed free planting bed! Weed Block fabric is much better than the 6 mil Black Polyethelene Sheeting we used to use...........the fabric lets the moisture and oxygen thru, which makes for better air exchange in the soil, and hence, healthier plant material. My experience with the Preen type products are that they are marketed and advertised better than they actually work, but it is still better than nothing. Moral of story here............less weeds to pull = More SHOP TIME! :D
Good Luck Joe, glad to help! ;)