PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on planer strategy - old iron that will do 8" thick?

Bob Wise
11-23-2013, 1:14 PM
After finally getting my 12" 3-phase Poitras jointer up and working with a VFD, I'm sold on getting the older industrial iron used.
The VFD has been working really well.

I like doing larger timerframe-ish projects and would like to have a planer that can do 8" thick. I don't care about the width... 12" would be fine,
15" great, 20" overkill. I've been looking at the powermatic 180, but that will only do 6". My modern choice would probably be to go
with the grizzly 15" spiral head, which seems to get good reviews and will do 8".

Either that or I need to stop obsessing over my occasional desire to plane an 8x8 bench leg. :-)

Any advice on what of the older planer iron will do 8" thick without going to something massive? I'm in a two-car-garage sized
shop so I have some room but don't want to get something huge. Size of the powermatic 180 is stretching it.
Want to stay in the 5hp and under power range for 3phase as the VFD pricing starts to get out of hand above that.
The powermatic 100 will only do 5" as near as I can tell.

This older industrial equipment seems a bit thin on the ground here in the northwest.
Would appreciate any input!

-Bob

jack forsberg
11-23-2013, 1:30 PM
After finally getting my 12" 3-phase Poitras jointer up and working with a VFD, I'm sold on getting the older industrial iron used.
The VFD has been working really well.

I like doing larger timerframe-ish projects and would like to have a planer that can do 8" thick. I don't care about the width... 12" would be fine,
15" great, 20" overkill. I've been looking at the powermatic 180, but that will only do 6". My modern choice would probably be to go
with the grizzly 15" spiral head, which seems to get good reviews and will do 8".

Either that or I need to stop obsessing over my occasional desire to plane an 8x8 bench leg. :-)

Any advice on what of the older planer iron will do 8" thick without going to something massive? I'm in a two-car-garage sized
shop so I have some room but don't want to get something huge. Size of the powermatic 180 is stretching it.
Want to stay in the 5hp and under power range for 3phase as the VFD pricing starts to get out of hand above that.
The powermatic 100 will only do 5" as near as I can tell.

This older industrial equipment seems a bit thin on the ground here in the northwest.
Would appreciate any input!

-Bob

i guess my wadkin RM with 9" x 24 is out of the question at 3750 lbs but for $150 what can i say old heavy Iron is cheap.

but if tonnage is not your thing:cool: how about one of theses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyNh39oUnvE

Bob Wise
11-23-2013, 3:13 PM
Holy buckets, and holy double buckets!

Are you saying you'd sell me that RM for $150? :-)