PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

Ricc Havens
11-23-2013, 10:54 AM
A guy a church had a couple trees come down in a recent storm. By the time I found out about it most of the wood was already gone to guys with wood burners. The home owner is not sure which is which - but supposedly one of the guys who took the wood to burn said one of the trees was sweet gum and one was tulip poplar. Here are pics of pieces from just one of the trees that I was able to get just a couple pieces from. Is this sweet gum or tulip poplar in the pics below? I didn't get a pic of the end grain of the bigger piece on the floor as I had already put on some anchor seal and it obscured the grain some. so I included a pic of the side grain. (note: this is all from the same tree just different cut pieces)

Thanks for your help!!
Ricc Havens

Jamie Donaldson
11-23-2013, 12:00 PM
White Ash.

Ralph Lindberg
11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
IDing wood, even with the bark on is iffy, real iffy. Leaves really help, a lot.

It -could- also be Locus

Reed Gray
11-23-2013, 1:22 PM
Picture 2 made me think of catalpa, which has a rather sweet scent to it, and holds a lot of water, but is very light when dry. The last pic makes me think Sweet Gum, and probably not the tulip poplar. Both can turn well, and are on the softer end of the spectrum. The sweet gum can spault very quickly. It tends to be rather bland, but can have mineral stains. The tulip poplar is similar, but can have greenish and black mineral stains.

robo hippy

William Bachtel
11-23-2013, 4:03 PM
Its Poplar, photo 4 has the green heartwood. Bark is Poplar and sapwood is Poplar. The End