PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning dry shellac off of a chuck

Brian Kent
11-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I am cleaning up a chuck and have some shellac spots. Will dried shellac come off with alcohol or acetate or something else?

Roger Chandler
11-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I am cleaning up a chuck and have some shellac spots. Will dried shellac come off with alcohol or acetate or something else?

Shellac is thinned with denatured alcohol when in flake form.............you should be able to clean your chuck with DNA or mineral spirits.

Brian Kent
11-23-2013, 12:04 AM
I have tried mineral spirits without success and I'll try DNA.

Chip Sutherland
11-23-2013, 12:14 AM
DNA works for me.

John Beaver
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
I've had success with thinner. Next step would be acetone.

John Keeton
11-23-2013, 5:18 AM
0000 steel wool soaked with DNA is the standard treatment I use.

Fred Belknap
11-23-2013, 7:54 AM
If you spray shellac with the bowl attached to the lathe be sure to put tape over the index holes. The shellac makes it hard to screw the index pen in. DAMHIKT

John Coloccia
11-23-2013, 8:10 AM
I'm surprised it doesn't just chip off. As John says, alcohol with a little scrubbing takes it right off. Oddly enough, shellac will generally NOT dissolve in Acetone by itself. It needs a polar solvent to dissolve. You can make it dissolve in Acetone by adding a little water or alcohol to it, but alcohol seems to work best.

FWIW, I prefer Scotchbrite pads to steel wool for this kind of thing. The steel wool particles get everywhere and if you don't get them all they'll start to rust. Just my preference.

Jason Roehl
11-23-2013, 8:55 AM
Shellac does not cure--that is, there is no chemical reaction that changes the molecular formula of the solids. It's merely a question of the solvent evaporating. Thick coats take longer because the solvent evaporates to the air quickly, leaving a film that is a vapor barrier to the shellac underneath that may still have some trapped solvent in it. Anyway, you can pretty much endlessly dry out shellac and redissolve it in its solvent--which is alcohol. Isopropyl, ethyl, methyl, doesn't matter, save for your tolerance for their toxicity or cost.

Hold a rag dampened with alcohol against the spots for a few seconds, then wipe them off.

Ammonia also works, but it's nastier to use in my opinion, and due to the high water content, turns the shellac into a sort of gooey, gelatinous mess without fully dissolving it. When washing out a shellac brush, I'll rinse in alcohol first, then wash with an ammonia solution, then rinse with water.

John Coloccia
11-23-2013, 9:11 AM
You know what's funny...the water is probably doing most of the dissolving, and the ammonia is probably mainly acting to raise the PH of the water. Shellac needs a basic solvent to dissolve it. It may actually work better if you dilute the ammonia with more water. Just a guess, but maybe worth a try the next time you clean a brush.

Jason Roehl
11-23-2013, 9:27 AM
Considering I'm using typically available ammonia, which is usually 3% (I had some "janitor-strength" once, at 6%, which was STRONG!), and with the little bit of that 3% that I use diluted in water, it's probably in the neighborhood of 0.25-0.5%, which is pretty weak. I think there's more to it than straight dissolution with ammonia/water--the lac seems to absorb the water, and the ammonia weakens it (and helps it get washed away due to its basic, "slippery" nature).

Reed Gray
11-23-2013, 1:25 PM
A wire wheel on the grinder.

robo hippy

allen thunem
11-24-2013, 10:50 AM
soak it in laquer thinner

J.D.Redwine
11-24-2013, 11:02 AM
You will ruin the patina.

allen thunem
11-24-2013, 12:44 PM
patina off a chuck??

robert baccus
11-24-2013, 8:55 PM
Patina is 2 layers of paint and 6 layers of lacquer, right?

Brian Kent
11-24-2013, 9:08 PM
Yup, only for me it is 42 drips of shellac, since the 31 drips of Wood Turners Finish came off with Paint Thinner.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I agree with Reed! Works great for me and only takes a minute!

robert baccus
11-25-2013, 10:07 PM
I once had a friend chastise me for spraying lacquer on my lathe. After we all died laughing for 10 minutes I informed him that was the only thing holding the old general lathe together. DNA is the proper solvent for shellac and is very dangerous misused. Actually poisonous. Keep your machines wiped down with light oil and the stuff will almost fall off.