PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Leather using "blue" masking tape to cover the leather

Roger Lueck
11-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Has anybody used the "blue" masking tape to cover a leather surface before engraving? I used this material and while it kept the smoke and other debris off the leather, it is a pain to remove. Does any one have a "positive experience" involving removing blue masking tape from leather?

Joe Pelonio
11-22-2013, 10:34 PM
The blue tape adhesive becomes stronger than regular adhesive when you burn through it. Try using high tack transfer tape (paper type, not clear). Sign supplies sell it in various widths or even custom cut, but 2" is usually a standard size.

Mike Null
11-23-2013, 7:37 AM
I usually use a clear wax such as Johnson's paste wax for floors. I haven't tried it on blue but it works on black, brown and tan leathers. You should be able to clean the residue with a damp rag.

Vicki Rivrud
11-23-2013, 8:45 AM
Thanks Mike, that's a great tip!

May sound silly - Is this the wax in the big yellow can? I've tried looking for it before for another tip but at our Home Depot doesn't say floor wax on the can.

Mike Null
11-23-2013, 9:42 AM
Vicki

Yes, both Johnsons and Minwax make it but you want to be sure to get natural or light as opposed to dark.

I just checked mine and it is Minwax natural. It is called "paste finishing wax". (I think my original can was marked floor wax)

I have made and engraved several pieces using this wax and one of them, a box I made for my wife, is more than ten years old and looks like new.

Dan Hintz
11-23-2013, 9:46 AM
I've tried looking for it before for another tip but at our Home Depot doesn't say floor wax on the can.

It was quite hard to find at my store, and not quite in the place I expected. If memory serves, it was in the aisle next to the lawnmowers, grills, etc. Other cleaning products were there, but a single stripe of yellow cans is easy to lose amidst all of the other products.

Kev Williams
11-23-2013, 12:34 PM
I engrave (what will be) leather motorcycle seats, black, white, raw, various oiled-tanned shades, and all me or the shop does is wipe them off with a bath towel. Never had a "goo" problem. Personally, I'd be afraid to use wax on any of the leather I engrave...

Mark Sipes
11-23-2013, 1:18 PM
What about saddle soap for leather... Personally I use Pledge furniture polish. thinner layer of wax / protectorant.

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-23-2013, 2:08 PM
It also depends upon what type of leather you are engraving. Deerskin & pigskin, for example, are quite a bit different then cowhide. Wax would work better on the surface of cowhide.

Ernest Kerr
11-24-2013, 8:34 AM
Please explain how the wax is used. The first post concerned the tack of blue tape.

Mike Null
11-24-2013, 8:44 AM
Ernest

The wax idea was offered as an alternative to the blue painter's tape. In my experience I found that the painter's tape can sometimes damage the surface of the leather.

Mike Chance makes a good point as the wax cannot be used with all leathers.

Roger Lueck
11-24-2013, 2:22 PM
Thank you for all the alternatives. However, the problem I have isn't solved (if there is a solution). The "gist" of my original question was; Does anyone have a solution to removing blue painters tape from leather? ie Is there something (alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc.) that will cause blue painters tape "adhesive" to release from leather permitting easy removal without damaging the leather?

Bill Cunningham
11-24-2013, 2:34 PM
Thank you for all the alternatives. However, the problem I have isn't solved (if there is a solution). The "gist" of my original question was; Does anyone have a solution to removing blue painters tape from leather? ie Is there something (alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc.) that will cause blue painters tape "adhesive" to release from leather permitting easy removal without damaging the leather?

You might try warming it up with a heat gun to soften the glue..I use heavytack transfer tape, and sometimes pastewax.. The pastwax goes a long way, I have one can here that is still good that was aquired as a half can from someone else in 1969 It's probably circa 1960-65. If you keep it tightly closed, it may last forever:D

David Somers
11-24-2013, 3:59 PM
Roger,

i normally remove tape residue from things with mineral spirits or acetone. An orange cleaner might work as well. Particularly the gunk remover type that is available for removing stubborn adhesives. I have never tried this on leather though.

Before you go that route i might use lexol leather cleaner and see if that worked. At least it wont harm the leather. Once you get that stuff off successfully though i think most of the crew here is suggesting you would be better served by changing masking methods for your next leather project if possible. Avoid the problem altogether?

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-24-2013, 4:17 PM

You don't state what type of leather it is. Depending upon what type of leather you engraved, many types of cleaners will cause staining or damage the leather.

David Somers
11-24-2013, 7:23 PM
Roger,

i happened to be in Home Depot just now and looked at an Orange Cleaner that works on masking tape glue, called Goo Gone. I mentioned it in my previous post? It specifically says NOT for use on leather. My apologies. Lexol cleaner, which i also mentioned, is made specifically for use on leather along with Lexol Leather conditioner. I know those are safe.

Apologies again!

Dave

Roger Lueck
11-24-2013, 11:47 PM
The leather is cowhide, it is not suede and is light tan in color.

Mike Null
11-25-2013, 8:17 AM
If you must use the blue tape then I think the heat gun is probably the best answer. Cowhide is the material used in the picture I posted.

Cliff Land
11-26-2013, 6:21 PM
I have had some luck using duct tape to remove blue tape from leather. i found this tip on a makers forum, apply the duct tape over the blue and peel off like a bandaid.
i have noticed that sometimes the blue tape causes some surface lifting on veg tanned leather.
lots of luck hope this helps.

Roger Lueck
11-26-2013, 11:25 PM
The leather is cowhide, light in color and is not suede.

Roger Lueck
11-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Mike and Bill, the heat gun worked fine. It takes a while as the leather cools fairly quickly but it was much easier to remove with less surface damage than without heat.