PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Maple Bowls

Bob Bergstrom
11-22-2013, 9:39 PM
The first bowl was taken down from the front lawn of our church and will be donated to a church bazar. The second was one of three turned from a scab board a friend of my gave me. It is the smallest of the three. The other two are in a local library display. Both bowls received two coats of oil followed by two coats of lacquer. The taller is about 9" tall and 6" across. The second is about 9" across and 2" deep. I did the embellishment with a Dremel equipped with a small ball bit.

Harry Robinette
11-22-2013, 9:54 PM
Bob
These are really nice bowls,the small bead on the inside of the edge nicely set's of the rim. I love the under cut on the second bowl and the texture set's it off nicely.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Very nice work on both bowls Bob! I really like the church bowl - beautiful wood and form!

Michelle Rich
11-23-2013, 6:56 AM
I like the rim treatment

Paul Engle
11-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Bob,
+1 on the rim treatment, but what made you decide to use random pattern and not a fixed-repeating pattern and / or free hand vs using an index on you lathe ? I like it and will be attempting to do one once my home built OT machine is repaired , I also bought a Nova Ornimental Turner and will be setting it up as well as soon as the mail gets here today wooohhoooooooo .... sorry , your bowls look great indeed !!!

Bob Bergstrom
11-23-2013, 3:29 PM
Bob,
+1 on the rim treatment, but what made you decide to use random pattern and not a fixed-repeating pattern and / or free hand vs using an index on you lathe ? I like it and will be attempting to do one once my home built OT machine is repaired , I also bought a Nova Ornimental Turner and will be setting it up as well as soon as the mail gets here today wooohhoooooooo .... sorry , your bowls look great indeed !!!
Paul, I'm not big on engineering type turning. The random pattern is easy without too much planning. Patterns take more precision and if not perfect, can easily be detected. Those Nova Ornamental apparatuses are rare and hard to come by. Have fun with it and hope to see some pieces from it.

Curt Fuller
11-23-2013, 9:13 PM
Both are beautiful bowls. The dimpled bowl almost looks like you let the blank have it with a few rounds of 00 buck and then cored the center.

Gus Dundon
11-27-2013, 2:52 PM
That work is like a "museum destined' masterpiece. That's too beautiful to use! Nice turning!