PDA

View Full Version : Knurled Knob source? (wood screw thread)

Bill McDermott
11-22-2013, 3:30 PM
I need a knob on a screw to replace a lost part on a hand-me-down wooden dado plane I am repairing. The depth stop was gone. I made the L-shaped stop. The hole fits a 5/16th diameter 9 threads per inch lag screw perfectly. Everything I can find is a machine bolt thread (24 or 32 per inch). I'd prefer to find a knurled brass knob with the threaded rod already attached. Any ideas where I might procure such a piece? My fallback plan to file down the brass end cap for a garden hose and JB Weld a shortened lag screw seems a bit weak but should get it cutting. Thanks.

Steve Voigt
11-22-2013, 3:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you're going to find a knurled knob on a shaft with wood threads. I suggest you install a 1/4-20 threaded insert in that hole (you may have to enlarge the hole a little). Then you can easily find a knurled knob with a 1/4-20 shaft. Morton machinery has an excellent range, or, if you want a vintage look, you can get brass thumbscrews from Lee Valley and epoxy in a piece of threaded rod.

Cliff Ober
11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Thread a knurled knob (try McMaster Carr) onto a shortened 1/4-20 hanger bolt. Instant wood threads combined with a knurled knob.

Cliff

Bill McDermott
11-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Two solid solutions. Thanks.