PDA

View Full Version : Induction stoves

Bob Rufener
11-22-2013, 2:02 PM
There is a recent post about combination gas/electric stoves. Our range is getting a little long in the tooth but still works ok. My wife has heard about induction stoves and I am wondering if anyone has one and, if so, what are some of the pros and cons. I do know you have to use ferrous cookware-not aluminum but that is about it.

Greg Portland
11-22-2013, 3:09 PM
This is a good summary of all the pros and cons --> http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml

We have 4 portable induction burners instead of a cooktop; this gives the kitchen a lot more flexibility in terms of prep & having people working in the kitchen. We went with this tech once our kids could reach the stove (cooking elements are cool to the touch). Expect some level of noise (similar to a large LED light "buzz") even if you have good cookware. Some burners have fans to cool the electronics and these can be loud (so read the reviews and literature). The other downsides are cost & that not all stovetops can handle elongated pans (large roast pan & you're cooking the drippings for gravy, etc.).

Ed Griner
11-23-2013, 5:59 AM
I have a portable ID cooking device: Its Great! $ 72.00 from Target,it's fast,basically heat free except the pan itself. The cook tops are through the roof price wise. For fried eggs,pancakes,boiling water for Ramen noodles (people on the go) you can't beat it.