PDA

View Full Version : I have come up with a new TV show

Bill Huber
11-22-2013, 1:22 PM
Lets see we could call it Cab-in-nuts

The show would be shot in a pro cabinet shop.

The shop would be set up to make special order cabinets only, different shapes and funny sizes.

The shop would have about 5 employees some old guys and then a few new guys that think they know it all.

The owner of the shop would go out and get the orders and then come back and tell the crew they had to get the cabinets made in 3 days.

The show would open with the crew working on the cabinets and the old guys would be using a plane and the new guys would be gripping that it takes to long to use the plane and then they would fight about it for about 10 or 15 min.

Then one of the new guys would screw up and cut the rails for the doors wrong and the owner would come in and see the problem and find they didn't have anymore wood like that. He would have to go find it some place in town and that would take about 15 min. of the show, he would find it.

Then the old guy would start gripping at the new one for screwing up the rails and the new guy would just walk out and slam the door. The older guy would then talk about how these new kids don't know anything.

The owner would come in with the new wood and tell the crew to get to work, they only have 10 min. before the customer was going to come look at the cabinets. So in 10 min. they would put the cabinets all together, sand and put on 5 coats of finish.

The show would close with the customer coming in, looking at the cabinets and just loving them and talking about how great they are.

Now I know this would be a really different type show and there is only about 1 million of them on TV right now.

How in the would can they come up with any more, well they are, Save the Church, Save the Bakery, Tree Trimming, Making Large Shredders and it goes on and on.

It is to the point that TV is just a waste, the good stations are doing it, History Channel, Discovery Channel they are all getting in on the cheap shows.

Steve Wurster
11-22-2013, 1:49 PM
People would watch this show, simply because it's on. Heck, I might watch it, given the lack of woodworking-related shows on TV.

I caught a few minutes of Cake Boss one time, back when Ace of Cakes was still on the air. Cake Boss just seemed too contrived, like all of the "reality" shows these days. So I never watched it again. I'm not sure how that show is still on the air when it is almost certainly staged, or at least has staged parts. Ace of Cakes was different; just cameras filming people working in the cake shop. No arguments, no obvious "oh no I dropped the cake" moments. It was good. I miss that show.

I think my wife still watches one or more "reality" shows. Thankfully I don't think any of them still involve rich people that are just famous for being famous. I don't watch much TV anymore; mainly reruns of Seinfeld. Too many networks have bought into these shows because they are cheap to film and get ratings. Shows you how sad the watching audience has become. I really hope they stop making these shows... but then what would they put on the air?

Brian Tymchak
11-22-2013, 2:47 PM
If you could figure out even the tiniest weather angle on that show, the big weather channel would put it on. I mean, they've put every other "weather" related reality show on lately.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-22-2013, 3:12 PM
I have a friend that is constantly prodding me to do a show with him. He is an expert metalworker and among many ornate things he also builds custom motorcycles. I am a woodworker who also builds hot rod VW's and whatever else I can get my hands on. Together we would just build cool stuff. I happen to know someone that is a producer for a TV station. Only one problem- we all live in different cities!!! Every person I know always says "You should have your own show."

So on a serious note; How do these guys get started? I guess these days YouTube is the first start. There are so many ideas I have had that I think would make a great show. I want to sail around the world and do a reality sailing show where whatever happens happens. They have very affordable cinema quality cameras now that are about the size of a point-and-shoot. I'm sure it's been done. I should mention here that I quit watching TV over ten years ago except for important news events!

Steve Wurster
11-22-2013, 3:53 PM
YouTube would be the place for things like sailing around the world and filming it.

I don't know how these newer reality shows get started. The scary part is that somebody is out there scouting that "talent". It's similar to the fact that there are people that are paid to "follow" celebrities on Twitter and related and then report what the celebrities are doing / saying. Wait, why is this a form of entertainment? (I don't follow this stuff, but I do hear entertainment stuff while listening to a radio show on the way into work in the mornings, so this is the limit of my knowledge here).

glenn bradley
11-22-2013, 4:02 PM
I don't know how these newer reality shows get started.

Just go check out the Asian TV shows we used to show specials on for the comedy factor. These silly ideas used to be silly, now they're mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WINDtlPXmmE#t=80

Mark P. Miller
11-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Nothing to add, except that this really made me laugh a lot. I think you nailed the formula for the genre perfectly.

Rick Potter
11-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Do you mean that Bill wasn't serious:eek: ?

Art Mann
11-23-2013, 1:21 PM
Do you mean that Bill wasn't serious:eek: ?

I thought it sounded like a great idea!

Mike Cruz
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Bill, until you got to the part about building the cabinets and putting 5 coats of finish on them in 10 minutes, I thought you were talking about a real life experience (as if you were the owner!). You absolutely nailed the scenario...

Either that or you just got done watching an episode of American Chopper, and changed the names (and medium) to protect the guilty...