PDA

View Full Version : David Savage on Burger King Whoppers

Harold Burrell
11-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Here is an article that I recently came across. I wanted to post it before Hilton did...

Up to this point recently, I have devoted much time and effort into the evaluation and review of various and sundry chisels. Now on to something that matters...food.

I recently purchased a Whopper from Burger King. You know, their signature burger that has been around...well...for as long as I can remember. According to my research, the sandwich first appeared in 1957. It is also my understanding that the very first samples off of the production line are no longer available today. They have apparently disappeared...

I bring that up for this reason...the Whopper that I recently acquired was...well "disappointing". Granted, it has been quite some time since my last Whopper, so perhaps my comparisons are off. But I could SWEAR that they used to be bigger. "Oh, no!", they will tell you, "They are absolutely the same size!"

Sorry. I'm not buying it. These are definitely smaller.

Regardless, I tried to remind myself that "size doesn't matter" and went on to inspect the sandwich's inner workings. Again...disappointing. This was not the example of quality and craftsmanship that I remember either. Granted, the Whopper that I had in my possession may have been a bad example. It could have been one of those “lemons” that somehow slipped through the cracks of their Quality Control experts, but…then again…maybe not. I could not find a label on my particular Whopper, but it looked very similar to examples that I have seen that come out of China.

Next was the taste testing. If the size issue and the cosmetic appearance was a problem, this was worse. The word “disappointing” doesn’t even suffice here. “Terrible” would be a better description. Initially it wasn’t too bad. In fact, the first bit was almost yummy. However, VERY shortly after that thing hit my gut did the problems start. It started as a slow burn…and every bite that followed added to the flame…until after a very short time what started out to be goodness, turned into something very similar to what I would imagine it would be like to consume hot, lumpy motor oil (on a bun…with onions and pickles).

All in all…it was not a pleasant experience. I do not foresee purchasing another Whopper anytime soon. Nor do I have any intention of purchasing anything in the set (which includes the Whopper, the Double Whopper, the Triple Whopper and the Whopper Jr.).

My advice to you would be to save your money…purchase a REAL sandwich from a not-so-fast-food supplier…or simply make your own (or, perhaps, have your wife do it.)

OK...I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. ;)

Joe Leigh
11-22-2013, 12:16 PM
It was long overdue.

I was beginning to think that someone actually gave a rat's patoot what this Savage character thought.

Judson Green
11-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Thank you Harold! hilarious

Chris Griggs
11-22-2013, 12:20 PM
That was uncalled for. ;)

This is hilarious and absolutely called for!

george wilson
11-22-2013, 12:26 PM
If I keep hearing about David Savage,I think I might just sharpen up my 1 1/4" Narex paring chisel,and FALL on it!!!!!!!

I think he was being a "silly Savage" writing this article. Yeth he wath.

Jacob Reverb
11-22-2013, 12:34 PM
You mean this isn't the "All Things David Savage" forum with 100% David Savage 24/7/365?

I must be in the wrong place! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/DirtDOG.gif

Steve Voigt
11-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Harold, you are my hero. And I think I need a burger for lunch!

Harold Burrell
11-22-2013, 1:02 PM
I was beginning to think that someone actually gave a rat's patoot what this Savage character thought.

Truth be known, I do appreciate the articles that Hilton has posted. David Savage's work is AMAZING! And I have always appreciated Hilton (Well...maybe not "always". I mean, I didn't even know him when I was in grade school.)

However, all that still wasn't enough to keep me from being a jerk.

It's what I do best. Ask my wife. And my church members.

BTW...Pray for them... :o

Chris Griggs
11-22-2013, 1:07 PM
It's a little known fact, that the teachers unions are responsible for the steady decline in Whopper quality over the past two decades. In their efforts to force healthy food into the hands of young people the teachers unions have been deliberately buying up stocks in Burger King and selling them to Chinese share holders who have then moved most of the Whopper ingredient production overseas where quality control is far less stringent. This was deliberately done to bring down the tastiness of the entire Whopper line driving young people everywhere to eat more fruits and vegetables, which in turn as led to more sluggish students allowing teachers to be even lazier than they already are.*

(*Portions or possibly all of this statement may be exaggerated or even entirely made up.)

Joe Leigh
11-22-2013, 1:15 PM
If I keep hearing about David Savage,I think I might just sharpen up my 1 1/4" Narex paring chisel,and FALL on it!!!!!!!

If that's an A2 chisel make sure you sharpen it to 30deg or higher. (David said so)

Steve Voigt
11-22-2013, 1:22 PM
Chris, now you're just baiting me. :cool:

Mel Fulks
11-22-2013, 1:22 PM
Funny stuff ,don't see any mention of " the old makers taking their secrets to the grave",though. I hope Mr Savage has a sense of humor and understands that only a real celibrity gets such a well done treatment.

Chris Griggs
11-22-2013, 1:30 PM
Chris, now you're just baiting me. :cool: Mwahahahahahahahahah!:D

Another little known fact....Megan Fitzpatrick is hatching a plan to bring down the McDonald's Big Mac as she is furious over its large content of cat meat.

Steve Friedman
11-22-2013, 3:16 PM
That's too funny, but a bit too coherent and well written. You need more run on sentences!

Steve

george wilson
11-22-2013, 4:29 PM
More veggies? Make the tomato slices thicker.

John Coloccia
11-22-2013, 5:18 PM
Somewhat relevant:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/25/14-year-old-mcdonald-hamburger-looks-almost-new/

My wife once lost a tater tot from somewhere in her car. I don't know why I remembered that, but I did. Anyhow, several years later we traded in the cars, and while cleaning them out I FINALLY found the tater tot. It looked as good as the day we lost it.

Needless to say, I don't eat very much fast food....maybe once or twice a year in a pinch...and now, I don't eat any. :)