PDA

View Full Version : Sand Paper for smoothing chip in glass?

Don Morris
11-22-2013, 7:32 AM
We have a ladle for a Punch bowl set that took a ding on the very tip of the lip. LOML took it to a "glass man" who has done some glass repair work for us in the past, but said that it was in such a place that he couldn't trust his machinery or something to do it. She told him I was a woodworker and he said I should just sand it smooth, and other than cosmetic, it should be fine. What type of sand paper was he talking about? Before I experiment, and waste my time or use a sand paper which makes it worse, I thought I'd ask ya'all.
Thanks for guidance. Have to look hard to see the chip in photo but it's there.

Perry Holbrook
11-22-2013, 7:50 AM
The best way to sand glass is with a diamond pad, they come in different grits. The next best would be a fairly fine grit wet/dry silicon carbide sand paper. Shouldn't be a difficult thing to rub out with either, but I would suggest keeping the area wet as you do the sanding.

Perry

Bruce Pratt
11-22-2013, 7:51 AM
Use a half round diamond sharpener. Check out DMT (dmtsharp.com). No personal affiliation with company; use their products. Also a bunch of videos on Youtube; search "crystalsaver".

Jim Matthews
11-22-2013, 8:31 AM
+1 on the diamond hone to handle this.

I have a little set of DMT pads (fine and xtra fine) that did handled just this sort of thing on Pyrex.
I'm not sure you have enough material on either side of the spout to manage this;
you're likely to turn this into a dribble glass of epic proportions.

Ted Calver
11-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Diamond as suggested, but 400/600 wet or dry sandpaper wrapped around a dowel will do the same job.

Bob Rufener
11-22-2013, 1:55 PM
I don't know if this is a feasible solution for your chip or not. I have had chipped windshields on my vehicles and the auto glass people came to my house and filled it in. I don't know if this process would work for you or not. The filled in windshield chips are almost invisible.

David Cefai
11-23-2013, 4:30 PM
A (potentially risky) possibility would be to get a glass-blower to melt away the ding. The problem may well be finding a glass blower. If you know a chemist at a university he may be able to help. Some chemistry departments will have a technician who can blow glass.

Warning: do not try this yourself. You need an oxy-actylene torch with a very fine pointed flame. One mistake and you don't have a ladle any more.

Andrew Fleck
11-23-2013, 4:54 PM
I would take it to another glass shop. I used to be a glazier once upon a time and I could have gotten that sanded out easy enough, but I had the proper tools at my disposal. Your glass will need to be beveled properly before removing the chip. Look for a glass and mirror establishment.

John Lohmann
11-23-2013, 8:43 PM
I've used a Dremel on a drinking glass, not crystal, UGA beer mug worked fine though

Eric DeSilva
11-24-2013, 12:20 PM
As someone who has blown some glass, I don't think that will work (or at least it is unlikely to be economic). Unlike laboratory glass, a ladle is thick enough that it will have be be annealed post heating. Easier just to sand it out--I use 3M diamond laps, but a set of those is over $100. I'm guessing it might just be cheaper to find a new glass ladle.